The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Which way does the 5th gear intermediate go on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killa_dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2004
Bay Area, California
I am putting together a awd tranny that the original owner before me disassembled and was wondering which way the 5th intermediate gear when back on the transmission.

Is this the correct way? Or should it be flipped the other way? I ask this question because I have seen in another guide where it was flipped the other direction?
Transmission rebuild
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Or is the correct way this way?
73813d1180385643-changing-ouput-shaft-drives-t-case-img_0307.jpg

You have it upside-down if you relied on Dre's pic in the top. The flanged side should be facing towards the end cover -- it has a face (a narrow groove) that you can attach a puller to. Follow the Lower diagram with the flange side up.

Flip it around (use the bottom picture), and replace the end shaft nut with a new one and re-torque it to at least 102 lb/ft, and re-stake it using your metal punch and hammer.

End Shaft Nut Part #: MD731948 (x 2)

You have it upside-down if you relied on Dre's pic in the top. The flanged side should be facing towards the end cover -- it has a face (a narrow groove) that you can attach a puller to. Follow the Lower diagram with the flange side up.

Flip it around (use the bottom picture), and replace the end shaft nut with a new one and re-torque it to at least 102 lb/ft, and re-stake it using your metal punch and hammer.

End Shaft Nut Part #: MD731948 (x 2)

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks a lot! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back