The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

5th gear on a FWD the same as AWD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilSperm

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2002
Holdrege, Nebraska
as far as ratio? my 5th on my awd is fuct and i have a good fwd 5th laying around id like to throw on...any final drive problems with that ya think?
vfaq states 0.741 for a fwd and 0.666 for an awd...that enough to #### up my rear end?

You're in luck, I was just answering another trans question, and I have the gear ratios and final drive gears listed in my original sales brochure from Mitsubishi. according to http://1000q.dsm.org/ the 90-99 manual transmissions are the same but the gearinng is different.

90-99 5 speed manual W5M33 GSX/AWD

1st = 3.083
2nd = 1.684
3rd = 1.115
4th = 0.833
5th = 0.666

reverse = 3.166
Final drive = 4.933

90-99 5 speed manual F5M33 FWD

1st = 3.083
2nd = 1.833
3rd = 1.217
4th = 0.888
5th = 0.741

reverse = 3.166
Final drive = 4.153

well, honestly, when it comes to trannies and gearing, im quite the n00b OMG this is all greek to me...so the finals are different, so i cant use a fwd gear on and awd tranny correct?

The final drive ratio is the ratio of the rear end or front end, the ring and pinion ratio. Like when mustang guys say they have 3.73's or 4.11's. Thats the final drive ratio. In theory, you can probably make a FWD 5th gear work, you would have to change both gears, the synchronizer assembly, and the shift fork. However, this would yield a very short 5th gear and your gas milage may suffer. Best bet is to just get the correct parts.

Later
Arnie

ok but how come you have to worry about it when getting a tranny...for instance if i got a tranny that didnt match up with my rear end, my front tires would be rotating more than the rears and that tears up the center diff correct? i think im just gonna throw a different awd tranny on it but i need to learn more about this part of the car :p

Matching final drives is only an issue in an AWD car with two final drives (front and rear)You have to make sure the final drive ratio of the ring and pinion (the 3.73 or 4.11 discussed earlier) in the rear differential is the same as in the front differential, taking into account the 1.090 ratio of the transfer case. If you put certain JDM transmissions into you car OR a rear end from an automatic car into a 5 speed, the two final drives at the front and the rear of the car will be different and will fight each other, causing driveline bind and premature part failure. Hope that helps.

5th gear is not a final drive. changing the size of 5th gear will only change how fast both the front and rear differentials are turning, not one or the other.

Later
Arnie

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back