The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Speedo and shifting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMSeifer

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2003
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
I just aquired another 2G this one happens to be an auto.

On the way home the speedo and odometer both quit working entirely. It also does not seem to be downshifting normaly now.

The fluid level is fine. ( checked warmed up and in neutral)

I have gotten it to work under 1 condition. If I go WoT from a stop the speedo will kick in at about 40-45 and work properly. As soon as the speed drops below 40-45 it drops straight to 0. That method does not seem to work from a roll.

It was supposedly rebuilt in the last 2K miles. My thought is maybe a solenoid but would like some more input before I spend the money on a part I might not need.

I finally got it figured out. I had replaced the speed sensor but not the speed gear. The shaft was bent from improper instalation from the place that rebuilt the tranny. That resulted in chewing off parts of the gear teeth.

So if you have a similar problem inspect the gear and shaft carefully. The part new from the dealer was $22 so its cheap from the dealer and not available from autozone or Orilley.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back