The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

[RESOLVED] Rear Balance Shaft Issues: Why won't it turn? Wisemen needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesItsdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 18, 2006
Neptune, New_Jersey
My rear balance shaft won't turn when its in the motor. Here is a picture of the bearing surface.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is there a way to fix this? Or should I just remove the balance shaft and be done with it?

Yes, the bearing is seized to the surface of the shaft.

This is how the bearing surface should look:

The rear BS is at the bottom.

The hole/seat for the bearing is probably worn and the balance shaft bearing surface is likely scuffed. I would just eliminate them while you're at it, otherwise you risk spinning it again from the damage already done.

ROFL I pulled the front balance shaft and realized the bearing seized on the rear. That actually caused this to happen to my timing belt months ago and im just now ripping apart this block:

Thanks alot, Do you know whats needed for the removal of this balance shaft? Would it be ok to just delete the rear? I have a balance shaft eliminator kit around her somewhere but If I can just get rid of the rear balance shaft that could speed up the progress of getting this motor put back together.

your rear balance shaft is connected to the oil pump sproket;with the bse kit you got, the stubby shaft replaces it. hit up vfaq, and a detalied pic tutorial is shown, as for the front shaft, just use the bearings that came with the kit(or do what i did, rotate them 180*)and block off the oil passage's. make sure to use rtv on the front seal.

Thanks, I found my balance shaft eliminator kit. I'm gonna check out the vfaq and see how hard it is to do.

:dsm:

Ha! That's exactly how my timing belt looked when I bought my Eclipse... and for the exact same reason. I didn't know of the balance shaft elimination items that were available at the time (or that these boards existed for that matter). I pulled out the front shaft and rotated the bearings to cover the oil holes and used a cut off tool to cut the rear shaft about an inch from where it exited the housing. I JB Welded a freeze plug in the hole for the front shaft and called it a day. :) It worked great. I have since rebuilt the engine and now have the much easier to use OEM components for the balance shaft delete.

ewww, BSEK on its way, did you do any damage up top? good luck on the kit install, im half way threw mine, waiting on the cap for the oil pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back