The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Resolved: No ECMLink connection with EPROM ECU

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogWhistle

Supporting VIP
Sep 13, 2012
St. Paul, Minnesota
This issue is occurring on the new 1999 GSX of ours, using an EPROM ECU (corrected for 97-99) from ECMTuning, and ECMLink V3 on Windows 7, 2 different cables, and all the pins on the ECU and OBD2 checked/redone, using different com ports, and everything, there is NO way this will connect to the ECU. What is wrong??

We checked grounds, power, voltages, data links, key on, battery health, reloaded the software, and checked for driver updates.

Last edited:
Try connecting the two data lines from the obd2 port directly to the ECU harness. Yellow and pink, but I forget to exactly which pins/harness they go to on the ecu side, color stays the same at the port and the ecu. Eliminates other things on this data line from interfering, like the ABS ECU.

Try connecting the two data lines from the obd2 port directly to the ECU harness. Yellow and pink, but I forget to exactly which pins/harness they go to on the ecu side, color stays the same at the port and the ecu. Eliminates other things on this data line from interfering, like the ABS ECU.

Already did that also. I do also have to check device manager to ensure the ports and cable are working together but this laptop just worked on the previous car.

Last edited:
I saw that you check for driver updates. But theres driver updates on your PC then driver updates on ECM's website. Did you actually go to ECM's website and download the latest version of dsmlink and the updated drivers of their site? I kept getting connection errors too and it was because I didnt have the latest drivers off their site .

Is either cable verified good in any way, like talking with another ECU? Has the ECU been verified in any way like in another car? Maybe double check the chip is seated fully, could be loose (it's happened). I mean you simply could have two bad cables, or even a bad ECU if these things haven't been checked. They're definitely unlikely but definitely possibility as I've seen all these scenarios before.

I saw that you check for driver updates. But theres driver updates on your PC then driver updates on ECM's website. Did you actually go to ECM's website and download the latest version of dsmlink and the updated drivers of their site? I kept getting connection errors too and it was because I didnt have the latest drivers off their site .

Thank you. We will check ECM’s site tomorrow for any driver updates.

Is either cable verified good in any way, like talking with another ECU? Has the ECU been verified in any way like in another car? Maybe double check the chip is seated fully, could be loose (it's happened). I mean you simply could have two bad cables, or even a bad ECU if these things haven't been checked. They're definitely unlikely but definitely possibility as I've seen all these scenarios before.

Thank you also for helping to troubleshoot. Both cables have been used with other ECUs, and, since they behave the same way, we’re tending to believe it’s something other than the cables. The ECU is fresh out of the box from ECM, but we will check the chip to be sure it’s fully seated. The car will start and run, but it is extremely rich, so, again, we’re suspecting other causes.

We’ll check the chip seat and check for any new ECM drivers and report back.

So I just updated with ECMlink downloads with no sucess. The cables both previously worked, so both being bad would surprise me. Might have to just try another laptop as well.

Side note, just to ensure I'm not blatantly forgetting how this works, as this is my first actual EPROM ECU, but this is what my ECU (internet picture below, not actually mine but nearly identical) is like on the inside:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Nearly identical as where is the dsmlink chip? That pic has no dsmlink chip. Or are u saying ur ecu looks identical to this but has the chip installed ....

Last edited:
Nearly identical as where is the dsmlink chip? That pic has no dsmlink chip. Or are u saying ur ecu looks identical to this but has the chip installed ....

There is no ECMLINK chip, but it is an EPROM chip.

Okay. We were under the impression that the latest round of Link chips were no longer red. Perhaps ECM just installed a standard eprom as a place holder, when they sold us the ecu.

We will install our ECM red chip from the fried ecu, and have a second laptop ready, should that be needed.

^ As it arrived from ECM

^ The chip we swapped in

Now we can connect using the Link software, but it says that many of the setting features are unavailable. At this point, however, we consider it a win, since all pertinent ecu connections were verified, the new MFI relays are working well, the new rewired fuel pump is running, and the OBDII wires have been tested, with the 12v lead repaired.

Now we can focus on tuning programming challenges, and try to get this project running.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back