The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

[RESOLVED] Difference between an automatic and manual transfer case

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sttimedsmr

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 18, 2008
Hemet/San Ja, California
Well, I've been searching and don't seem to find the right answer. Is there any difference between an automatic transfer case and a manual transfer case? And can I use and automatic one in my ride?:confused:

From what I know the outpput shaft is smaller, and the case has different mounting points. I've been told that you can swap in m/t gears as the ratio is the same, and caps shows the same bearings for both units.

ok becuase I bought 2 of them today. I have a 23 spline. I bought one and he guy said it was 23 but it was really 22. wouldnt fit on my tranny,
Went out again today and bought another that has 23 splines, but it has an extra hole and like an extension for it. From what i am reading this means it is auto one?

Can I bolt it up to mine for a bit until I sell these 2 and get more $$$?

ok becuase I bought 2 of them today. I have a 23 spline. I bought one and he guy said it was 23 but it was really 22. wouldnt fit on my tranny,
Went out again today and bought another that has 23 splines, but it has an extra hole and like an extension for it. From what i am reading this means it is auto one?

Can I bolt it up to mine for a bit until I sell these 2 and get more $$$?

They all 23 splines are Auto,,, 22 Splines are manual (1g, 2ga and the 2gb 22 splines came with different ratios.

If you have a 23 spline, Then it has to be Auto,,,,

Have you count the splines from your transmission shaft?.

No I havent actually. What I did was take my old fried tcase and put it back on. It slid on really easily. Then I took the one I bought first and tried to put it on, Which only resulted in me getting tired and cramps. I then counted the splines on both t cases and my dead one is 23. The first one I bought is 22 . The last one I bought so this makes 3 total I have, is 23 but it has an extra bracket or something on top with any extra bolt hole. It is a 23 spline but the middle section is much taller than all the ones I have. Can I use this one?

They all 23 splines are Auto,,, 22 Splines are manual (1g, 2ga and the 2gb 22 splines came with different ratios.

If you have a 23 spline, Then it has to be Auto,,,,

Have you count the splines from your transmission shaft?.

1990 models and only very few reported early 1991 models used 22 spline transfer cases. The rest were 23 splines; it has nothing to do with being an auto or manual.

As for using an automatic transfer case with a manual transmission or vice versa: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/328244-awd-auto-manual-swap-can-you-use-automatic-driveshaft.html#post151787580 and http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/340622-transfer-cace-help.html.
Cliffs: different bolt patterns and different gear ratios make the two incompatible.

An auto t case has 6 mounting points. Manual ones only have 5.

According to Vfaq, the ratios are the same for m/t and a/t.

I've never had one in my hands so I can only go by what the DSM bible says.

Wow, yeah my mistake on that tidbit; must have got caught up in the whole transmission and rear end ratios instead. Right you are, Kurt.

Yep, even the n/t AWD's have the same ratio. My GGSX tcase is identical to a dsm one, and being that its a 90, it is 22 spline.

pl but will the auto t case bolt up?

Not to many people actually try to put a auto t case on a m/t. Why don't you take your m/t tcase off and compare it to an auto and see if its possible?

It looks the same except for the extra mouonting tab with hole

Ok guy the auto t case does fit no problem. The extra bracket just goes up and doesn't connect to qnything

Last edited:
How's the car running with the auto transfer case on the manual trans? Because it's like a needle in a hay stack trying to find one here for my manual trans.

My turn. So if the M/T has one less mounting tab, would it work on my Auto? I may need a new T-case for my auto AWD dsm, and want to know if worse comes to worse can I use a M/T on my auto?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back