1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

420A Replacing 97 RS Block with Neon Block

Posted by hunter Schwietert, Dec 3, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. hunter Schwietert

hunter Schwietert Probationary Member

Joined Dec 3, 2020
    Carson City, Nevada
    So I have a 97 RS eclipse bottom end went out. Pretty bad cracked the bottom block. Was wondering i have seen talk about it but no definite answers. My buddy has a neon 420a I know the exhaust and intake are backwards but I should beable to slap my head from the mitsubishi onto the neon block with no modifications and beable to use it in place of my old block. Newer to these 420a blocks and such

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    The SRT4 block will not just go into your Dsm, I know someone that did the swap, its not a direct swap, there were modifications involved, the SRT4 has a different crankshaft and the crank sensor bolts in to the block in a different area, it can be done though, but you will need some research into it, there is a guy on here that used a cloud car engine in his Dsm, he would know what needs to be done to swap one of those in and maybe even he knows about the SRT4 swap also.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/the-dream.525514/

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. VelocitàPaola

VelocitàPaola Moderator

Joined Jun 14, 2005
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    You should be able to use a 95-99 Neon block with your head, that's correct. I believe you can use 00-03 blocks too, with some caveats, but I don't remember the details. As motomattx said, the SRT-4 is a different beast.

2K  21

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    95-99 Neon blocks are completely identical to the 420a Eclipse blocks.

I'm currently running a block from a '98 Neon R/T.

Road Race Build 4K  11  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

91  3

2010 Subaru WRX
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles