The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

replaced alternator still wont charge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robs93gsx

Probationary Member
Dec 2, 2010
post scandales, Idaho
:banghead:I replaced my alternator and it still wont charge so i rechecked everything and found a wire disconnected and wonder if this is the wire causing my charging issues.
Does any one know what this wire is and where it goes any help would be greatly appreciated thanx:cry:

Attachments

• img00219i.jpg
    img00219i.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 78
Have you checked your alternator fuse?

And I think that wire belongs on the power steering pump or something, don't remember for sure.

Yea, that belongs on the PS pump. Fluid pressure switch sending wire.

Have you checked the main fuse in the block next to the passenger shock tower - the big 80A fuse? That fuse comes unbolted out of the block, not simply pulled out.

-DSM

Replace the fuse first, sometimes there are hairline fractures that you can't see, but they separate when current causes the line to heat up and expand. Auto parts stores carry them, they're about $5. Make sure you un bolt the fuse from the fuse box before you start trying to take it out, I almost destroyed my fuse box that way. After that, if the alternator still doesn't charge, get a continuity tester (not a test light)

The difference between the two is that a test light will tell you if there is voltage at a point, a continuity tester will tell you if there is continuity between two points. They look similar but a continuity tester has a battery in it.

Take the tester and connect it at the battery side of the alternator chargeing line, and at the side of the fuse closest to the battery (with repect to wiring, not physical position) if it lights up, that piece is good.

Then do the same thing with the alternator charging post and the side of the fuse closest to the alternator (again, with respect to the wiring, not its physical position)

All these guys have said pretty much said what I was going to say. But to add on, be sure to check all and every ground and positive connection, makes sure there is no corrosion in your battery cables and wires, and check your block fuses.

If you have a volt meter, put it on the battery with the car at idle.
That way you can see if it isn't working at all or if it is just severly under charging.
It should be between 13-14 volts at idle.

Yes, the plug in the picture goes to the power steering pump.

Ok i had my alty tested and it works so im guessing its a wiring issue checked the fuse good also does any one know what the two wires on the plug are.
And can i hard wire my alternator to my battery . thanx everyone for your help its greatly appreciated rob.

Thank you to everyone for your help on my alty questions i got her running your advice was greatly appreciated thanx again

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back