The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rebuilt engine with big oil leak *video*

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I just went out to start my rebuilt engine for the first time. Well it started up after cranking it a few times and all seemed good. I have an oil pressure gauge on the turbo to make sure I don't blow the seals and it read just over 75psi right when it started.

So it ran for about a minute and a half, then it died. So I checked everything and all looked good. I went and started it up again and kept my foot on the throttle to let it get warmed up. I did that for about 3 or 4 minutes and got the temp up to 175*. Then I let it idle by itself while I check out the car.

I look at the oil pressure gauge and its at about 25psi. Then I check out the manifold and oil is coming out pretty decently between the manifold flange and turbine housing flange, so I immediately shut the car off.

I don't know what would be causing this because the long block was just rebuilt. I drained the oil and it didn't have any metal in it at all.

Fram filter was just for first engine warm up the it was gonna be removed. What would cause this? I was thinking valve seals, but they are new from the rebuild. Could the piston rings cause this? I haven't even gotten a chance to break them in.
Gvr4 oil leak - YouTube

I am having a hard time seeing exactly what is going on in the video.

There is oil on-top of the manifold->turbo flange which would lead me to believe the leak isn't from between there...
Excessive crankcase pressure could be squirting oil up the dipstick/dipstick hole.

I've seen similar leakage patterns, though less oil, when my dipstick tube was not installed.

Last edited:
Check the steel braided line that feeds the turbo might have a hole in the line.

I'm sorry about the video, there really is no space whatsoever to see whats going on. The oil is on the manifold to turbo flange and dripping down.

The dipstick tube is dry at the top and the base.

The oil feed line is also dry.

I pulled my EGT probe out of cylinder 1 on the manifold and it had a little bit of oil on it. I also pulled all the plugs and looked in the cylinders. Piston 1 appears to have oil on top of it, but the others look fine.

Cylinder 4
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 1

Both of you guys were correct, something was spraying on the manifold. I cleaned everything up and pulled my oil pressure gauge from the engine bay onto the floor and started it up. Then I saw the most beautiful oil leak I have every seen, it made my day :) Thank you for helping me guys.

I would get rid of the manual pressure gauge and get an electric one. They can be had as low as $30 for a prosport and you don't have to worry about it leaking in your cabin.

Those nylon oil pressure hoses are junk, seen an engine or two fry from them leaking.

Get some 1/8 copper tubing, works with all the fittings and crimps as the nylon tubing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back