The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

rear vented disc thickness, early 95 awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mine was also built in 5/94 but I don't know how to tell if I have them or not.

Look at your rear breaks. They should be the same size as your front rotors and should have vents along the seam. I called the local mitsu dealership and according to them, the cars made with the bigger rear breaks was actually a mistake, that the rear breaks were for the 3000 gt vr4 and someone in management made a bad call and ordered them for the dsm also. Supposedly he was fired and the production with the larger rear breaks was ceased. He told me that there were only between 150 and 200 '95s made with these breaks. I don't know how accurate this is, but he seemed confident in his answer. I don't know... all I know is that I feel cool cause I have them. My friend has a 95 talon made in June of 94 and he doesn't have them. So I think it was just the april and beginning of May that they had these breaks.

Just stick a finger through a wheel and feel the edge of the disk.

Mine is March of '95, no vents.

I'd want backup for that "mistake" story. I'd more believe they found yet another spot to cut corners. I doubt it got anyone fired.

My car is aug or sep of 94...cant remember which. But I have them.

I dont think I would believe that whole 150-200 thing either cause out of my 3 friends with 95s we all have the rear vented. Maybe its a coincidence, but Id doubt it..

Ive heard about the early 95s have the 1st gen 7 bolt rumor, but I dont know how we could verify that.

-Dallas J

I have them, My 95 also came wiht the intake manifold that says "ECI Multi" like the 1g's, but it is a small port 2g manifold. So I dont really think they came with a 1g 7 bolt motor, just a few small differences from the mid 95's and on.

Yup I'll vouch for that. April 94, have vented rears and the "ECI MULTI"

Hmm, I didnt know the ECI MULTI was different, but I have that too...

Just out of curiosity, how many of you that have the ECU MULTI have had Crankwalk? That would be an interesting study.

-Dallas J

Dallas J said:
Hmm, I didnt know the ECI MULTI was different, but I have that too...

Just out of curiosity, how many of you that have the ECU MULTI have had Crankwalk? That would be an interesting study.

-Dallas J

I agree. I never realized that some 2gs don't have ECI Multi on the intake manifold. I know I do. hmmm...

If you want slotted, then I'd pay the extra $40 and get Powerslots.

- Jtoby

I haven't seen them for the early 95's w/ vented rears, just the solid rears. Anyone have links? I've looked at Prostreet, Extreme psi, Tirerack and through a google search.
The only other inexpensive option is to find solid rear componants from the junkyard, or AEM O.E. big rotor kits(I'm not even 100% sure of that as it utilizes stock pads and calipers).

I just found them too, thanks for the link......I'm just surprised other places don't advertise them as well. Just not in big demand..... Thanks again :thumb:

Search Tips: Vented rear rotor upgrade

Hi,

I've got a 1995 GSX. My rearbrakes are totally wrapped, so I need new ones.
If its possible, slotted ones.
My problem is, I've got the vented rear brake discs, not the solid rear ones.

Has anyone ever changed the vented ones?
Where did you find some replacement discs?

Thanks a lot...

Mike

I don't know if this is it, but I'll try. I useto have slotted Brembos disc's and I swapped them to slotted Rotora disc's. I just took off the old slotted disc's and replaced them with the slotted Rotora disc's. It was really easy.
Go to: Rotora.com

Alright, I know what you all are thinking, wow this guy is a moron, but if you think about it.. you might see my point.. ok here we go...

I was on of the fortunate few who have vented rear rotors on my 95 GSX. the thing is... rear rotors don't do jack for braking.. and the vented rotors are heavier by a few pounds each... i can't seem to find decent aftermarket rotors for my rears in vented form...

so i thought, hell why not save some weight and get no vented rears... is it possible with my larger calipers? or would i have to swap out all the parts... i searched and only found stuff about going from non-vented to vented.. where as i want to go the otherway.. i feel that the vented rears aren't necessary and just add weight.

if anyone can point me into the right direction of vented rears @ a good price or if i can just switch to non-vented with out problems, let me know! thanks! :dsm:

You should not use a rotor that has a thickness that is less than the minimum for your current rotor. An unvented rotor is sure to be quite a bit thinner than your vented one.

You would need to replace your calipers as well as rotors. Are you prepared to spend a couple hundred dollars to lose five pounds?

wret said:
Are you prepared to spend a couple hundred dollars to loose five pounds?

thanks for the reply...

nope definitely don't want to spend $200+ replacing the rear stuff... hmm i guess i should search for vented rears... anyone have ideas?

Didn't the vented rears result from some sort of crossover from the 3000GT? You might try looking at those.

As can be found by doing a search, swapping between vented and non-vented rears (in either direction) requires rotors, calipers, and brackets.

I have non-vented rears, powerslots, and 1-yo calipers w/EBC greens. If your brakes are in half-way decent shape, I might straight-up trade with you. PM

- Jtoby

You could make this work with a bit of effort.

First as stated you'll have a caliper wider than the rotor intended. That means some pad spacer are needed. Old backing plates should work for that.

The next issue is mount offset. The skinny rotor will have the same back side plane as the vented one. (I'm making the assumption that they share the same dust plate and in turn have the same back side relative to that surface- pretty sure that's the case) Meaning your caliper will no longer be on center (or wide enough) which now means that you'll have to shift the caliper inboard about have the distance of the rotor width change to put it back on center.

THEN you can think about the pad spacers. To move it you'll need some longer bolts and spacers between the mounting plate and the caliper bracket.

In the end it could be done, but I agree that there are prob very little benefits to this unless you really want to put the car on a diet.

I think you should just take a crap everytime before you drive your car... oh, and maybe not eat that donut everymorning. that'll make up the difference right there.

Honestly, the difference is not going to be noticeable... just get better pads front and back, and if you want the rears to do more, then get a stiffer suspension system

Is this a vented rear rotor or just a normal 2G AWD rear rotor?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok, I know people might think I am dumb for asking, but I'm just not sure.

I've never really looked at a vented rear rotor on a vehicle before so I'm not sure what I should be comparing my rear rotor too. It looks vented because of the holes/slots, but I am just not sure if it is some 'standard' rear rotor type venting, or if it is actually what people consider the early 95 'rear vented rotors'.

I also read 2G rear vented rotors went from jan 94 - oct 94. The production date for my car is "11.1.04"(in CAPS) so I wasn't sure if it was vented because it was out of the 'date' range.....( unless that is actually jan 11th 94 and not november, 1st 94 as I am thinking.)

Thanks for any help.

Defiant said:
Yes, that appears to be a vented rotor, but man is it in lousy shape.

yea, thats why I am buying new rotors ;)

Althou I just bought the wrong rear rotors, so I need to exchange them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back