The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

rear vented disc thickness, early 95 awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesnow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2002
MISSOULA, Montana
I have a 2g eagle talon that was first purchased in 11/94. I have no idea when it was built but is this one of the early 2g talons with shitty abs and the vented rear brakes? I know that the abs kicks in right away and kind of sucks, but i dont know how to tell if i have vented brakes? I would like information on these early 2g's.
thanks

They are vented rotors that are larger in diameter and thickness than later years, and the calipers are larger as well. When I swapped mine on my 99 gsx with the rotors/calipers from my old 95 awd, my friend commented that they looked exactly like the rear calipers on a 3000GT. I don't know if he is right, and if he meant the vr-4 or sl model.

thanks for the help i will go look at my rotors after work. When did they stop producing them like that? and how do i tell when my car was produced?
thanks

The production date is on the sticker in the engine bay I believe. The VIN might contain the info too... I forget :) Of course you'd need to know how to decode the VIN, but that information is in the service manual.

I believe those only came in some 95 models. Maybe all of them? Maybe 96 too... so, err, somewhere around there. Maybe someone will come on with some definitive answers :)

I started reading the crankwork thread and it talked about the first production 2g's so i wanted to find out if mine was included in that production date. I dont think i have that engine sticker either. i have 140,000 miles on my car and no crank walk yet(knock on wood).

Does anybody know the major/minor differences in the 95 2g? and what month they stopped making them? Also my engine code sticker isnt readable and i am wondering if anybody knows how to decipher the vin?
thanks for all the help

They made change in 10/94 or 11/94. When I was buying caliper seals for rear, Partznet had the same part number for AWD and 3000GT rear brakes.

Didja stick your finger in there yet? Feel the fronts, if they're the same, you have vented rears. It was only on the first production models, and mostly on Talons. I missed it on mine.

Hey, I was searching around. I am trying to do a brake upgrade on my 3000GT and eclipse.

I want to get the AEM Big rear disc upgrade, and attempt to use it on the 3000GT. But I have recently found that the AEM kit does nto come with the vented Rear rotors.

Apparently someone does make an 11.5 inch vented rear rotor that fits the Eclipse 2G GSX. Does anyone know where I can get it

anyone know how to convert my 1995 talon with vent rear brakes to solid rear brakes?? i got teh aem big brake kit and the rears wont work because i have vented and all the aftermarket rotors i find are nonvent, anyone know how to convert them to nonvent??

The only things that are different between vented 95s and all the solids are the rotor, the caliper, and the bracket. So, as long as the kit comes with all three of these pieces, you'll be fine.

- Jtoby

Yes. And then you can sell the stock calipers and brackets and rotors to an autoXer. I was in the market for such six months ago. These shift some brake bias to the rear, which is good on a lowered DSM.

- Jtoby

Heh, you could buy mine. I bought a 99 gsx after totalling my 95 awd, and shortly afterwards swapped the old rear brakes onto the new car. If you're interested, drop me a private message and I'll see if I can find them (don't remember where they are off the top of my head).

Ok, well I'll start with a little back ground. I bought my '95 talon TSi AWD BONE STOCK from a used car lot about 20 miles from my house. The week I bought it I went to cut the BOV dump tube, and was surprised to find that the dump tube had already been cut, yet it was 100% smooth to the touch and looked to be factory. I was wondering if this is something anyone else has found. Anyway back to the point. My car was built in April of 1994. I have the larger/vented rear breaks and I have been lead to believe that there were very few made. Can anyone tell me approx. how many of these cars were made with the larger rear breaks? I am just curious. Thanks alot in advance!

Exactly how many I dont know, but I believe that only the early 95s had them. Mine has them and so does 2 of my friends's 95s.

-Dallas J

When was your car made? Cause I understand they made a few 95s with the 1g 7bolt motor. Is this true? I feel like such a noob asking these questions, but i want to know. Thanks for the reply... anyone else?

FrostbyteTalon said:
April of '94? Thats very strange. Anyone else??

Not really since the 95's went on sale in the fall of 94. It is to my understanding that any 95 AWD built before December of 94 has the larger rear brakes. Mine was built in Jan of 95 and I don't have them, I think.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back