The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Quitters- soon ghosts to us (selling/sold my DSM)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well its time for me to sell my beloved DSM. It's been a great car and a hell of a learning experience. I'm hoping to own another DSM someday, but for now I need something a little more reliable and streetable, plus FWD is getting really old LOL. Thanks for all the help guys, this is a great forum and I hope to get back into the 4g63 game again sometime soon! Peace -Scott

well after 3 years of trying to get my project up and running and spending thousands of dollars(mostly on labor costs smh) trying to get it to DD... I ended up selling my 2g GST for $500 :sosad:

Reason: going back to school, going to get a whole lot less hours at work, need a more reliable car.

So now I'm looking into a 4g Eclipse GT(cause 350Zs and G35s are too expensive for me). Sucks cause every time I start browsing for 4g Eclipses, my search always ends with DSMs :sosad:

DSMs>anything else

My second time in this thread...

Bought my first-ever new car yesterday, and take delivery on Sat. It's Korean.

The Talon is DDable yard-art until it sells. I can't physically drive it after the last surgery.

i finally had enough of the dsm money pit, over the past 3 years i have owned 5 and only 1 was reliable. only because i didnt touch it aside from bolt ons. my teal 96 went to the crusher after i parted it out inside out. im really impressed that i parted it out for twice the value of the car(roughly 8k for it all)

i finished sellling the last of my dsm stuff today. and picked up my old camaro without a motor for 1250. 3 days before i had picked up a bare 350 block for 150. i ordered everything i needed from jegs and summit racing 2 days ago and everything is at the machine shop as of today.

im sure most people think that a v8 chevy with 350 hp cant be good on gas and dependable but i daily drove the car for a long time and it never left me stranded. i am building the car for a street/strip car and nothing more. i will post pictures of it when i pick it up this weekend.

parts i bought and stuff in the car already in the profile. sucks they dont sell a bolt on true dual exhaust for it.

the car is a teal 1991 camaro rs. 126xxx miles, trans has about 75 miles on it( buying it back from my dad so i know everything about it). and gears and posi unit have like 50 mile on them if that. im putting a 355 in it with vortec heads on it. motor will have roughly 350 to 375 horse. car weighs about 3200. also has a 6 inch cowl hood, which i will be selling to put a 2 or 3 inch cowl on it.

sorry to be long winded thought i would just say where dsms and i stand

the car is a teal 1991 camaro rs. 126xxx miles, trans has about 75 miles on it( buying it back from my dad so i know everything about it). and gears and posi unit have like 50 mile on them if that. im putting a 355 in it with vortec heads on it. motor will have roughly 350 to 375 horse. car weighs about 3200. also has a 6 inch cowl hood, which i will be selling to put a 2 or 3 inch cowl on it.

sorry to be long winded thought i would just say where dsms and i stand

I dont blame you for ditching the dsm for a camaro. I probably will do the same at some point.

But damn the 91 has to be the worst body style of any camaro :barf: Should have gone with an ls1 fbody.

I dont blame you for ditching the dsm for a camaro. I probably will do the same at some point.

But damn the 91 has to be the worst body style of any camaro :barf: Should have gone with an ls1 fbody.

i love the body style, dad has a 72 chevelle that i love and a 80 camaro which im in love with. but i dont have the kind of money to buy one and make it as fast as this.

the body style isnt all that bad, since its a 91 it has the ground effects which help a lot and a staggered rim size and air shocks help give it the aggressive stance. plus the cowl hood helps a ton with looks, i just need to get it painted to look right. plus i can squeeze a 315 wide drag radial under the back with the right backspacing

Maybe there's a reason all the ones you had weren't "reliable."

i didnt go hog wild with them and i put the time and money to make them reliable. i bought all oem stuff and name brand only. no ebay crap. i sold my first one to a buddy that has put 20k miles on it after i sold it and its still kicking with over 220k miles on it

BOoooooo:notgood: goodluck with ## camaro,you will be back haha.

not a chance LOL, i still visit the site a lot because i do like the cars but will never own another

The problem why many people say dsm's aren't reliable is because they see a highly modded dsm and buy it without trully knowing what was done to it. Now on the other hand, if you get a stock to lightly modded dsm, driven by someone with sense in them it will last you and be highly reliable.

Strange world. I reluctantly gave up my first car after 5 motors and beating it to death ('77 Camaro), and then 10 years later bought a brand spankin' new '93 Eclipse. :)

I still have dreams about that old Camaro (and nightmares about my current Talon), but I wouldn't trade them for anything even if I could.

Strange world. I reluctantly gave up my first car after 5 motors and beating it to death ('77 Camaro), and then 10 years later bought a brand spankin' new '93 Eclipse. :)

I still have dreams about that old Camaro (and nightmares about my current Talon), but I wouldn't trade them for anything even if I could.

That is strange haha. I owned a 77' with a 79 front clip. And i wish everyday that i would have kept that car. Hands down my favorite car of all the cars ive ever owned. Sadly i sold it for a cammed up 98 stang gt :notgood:

I've have pics somewhere LOL.

I personally have been messing with these cars for about 9 years now, and before dsm's I had an 87 iroc wouldn't trade a thing in the world to go back. I think 3rd gen f-body's are a waste I would pick up a notch 5.0 before one of those.

x2, i'd say its pretty obvious and probably the number 1 reason for "unreliable" DSMs everywhere.

as stated above i only used the best parts, i invested over 12k in my one and i ended up trading it bc it ran like s**t. at least with a chevy there is no timing belt to slip or snap. or rub.

I don't get why people say the car wasn't reliable. Not saying you, but most people with "unreliable" dsm's barely do any maintenance on the cars, go straight into modifying.

Most of the time its the owners half assed job that causes the car to break. I didn't touch my first DSM first two years i owned it and it never gave me any problems. Its the same story with any car.

Well good luck with the camaro!

Sounds like a short-circuit between the seat and tuning software. :)

it was LOL, i got it together and idled at like 1600 no matter what i did. i did have dsmlink v3 also along with a wideband and all that. i should have just listened to my dad and taken it to buschur racing (which is an hour from here) to get straightened out. to this day i regret it. as it would have been very dependable had i gotten it fixed professionally.

i grew up around chevys, and carb tuning is so much easier than efi set ups. i will however be using my wideband to tune it. i will carry the knowledge over to chevys.

ill be sure to post pics when i get the car back this weekend. also thanks for all the support....and creative criticism LOL

I absolutely hate carb tuning LOL. Ecu maps ftw

ya right LOL, set your timing, set ## floats, and mess with your mixture screws. easy as pie. and jet changes take 2 seconds.

plus since im using a widebandd ill have it tuned in like an hour.

you probably used an edelbrock carb. they have no business making carbs, they are absolute garbage. i ran 2 different ones on the same motor and it fell flat on its face, switched to a holley and it was perfect, no jet changes necessary.

I find it quite humorous how I sold my 3rd gen camaro and got my awd talon and its been 10x more reliable than that camaro (knock on wood). But its all luck of the draw, most the time when buying a used car its a project from the get go. Reliabilty is kind of a joke (most used cars have already been heavily abused) and electronics can fail at any time, even for no apparent reason. Its always going to be something, but thats where AAA comes in handy ;) Either way, I can't blame you for changing platforms, camaro is a nice ride, sometimes miss drifting on the back roads......

you turd haha, ya right i havent owned a camaro that didnt run in the 12s or faster. plus on my last one i got roughly 18mpg highway LOL plus i have a remote bottle opener and all that, just in case a dsm wants to be cute ROFL

so fix that;)

Well you have plenty of time and are in the neighborhood, so take your Camaro to the shootout in August...I bet you'll find a few "cute" DSM's to play with out on the track. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back