The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Questions about short block purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCB91GSX

Proven Member
Jan 11, 2021
Denver, Colorado
I am looking to buy a 6 bolt short block to build while my car is running.
I came across one, but I’m questioning the coolant passage on it. Also there is something welded, not sure exactly what that passage is..
I understand this will need to go to the machine shop for a hone, potential bore/deck etc. I think the only thing I won’t be able to tell is if there is a micro fracture in the casting but I’m willing to risk that..

Is this oblonged coolant passage a deal breaker? What other questions should I ask?
Does anything else from the pictures stand out ?

Thanks y’all for your time and input

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The weld is on the balance shaft bearing. Should be fine as long as you don't want your balance shafts, but i'd get a new bearing to put in there and grind the weld off. It's not necessary to hold the bearing in some people just do dumb s#!t... as far as the coolant passage it looks fine to me. Just has corrosion from sitting and will need to be hot tanked or you could perform electrolysis on it yourself to clean it up.

Can guarentee you that it will have to be bored for sure based off just the pics. If the pitting is bad you may have to go up a couple piston sizes. Have the machine shop look at it before just ordering piston 1 size over. Make sure the main caps come with the block. I'm not seeing them in the pics.

I don't see the main caps either. They look like suitcase handles plus 1 regular one. If no caps, forget it. IDK why there is weld at the balance shaft other than the explanation that @97egl said! I would look at that spot carefully for a crack or anything sus.

The shop that “built” the motor was less than ethical..Ken’s Customs in Brighton.. apparently
were swapping his new parts for used etc.

Thankfully they are no longer in business. However with that consideration it definately raises concern about the integrity of the block.

Main caps, crankshaft, oil pan, all bolts that came off are included in the purchase.

Thank you guys ! would not have known to check for those.

I’ve decided I’m going to measure the bore and make a decision from there if it’s .20 over then I’ll likely pass as it’s been pointed out the scores in the piston wall are of great concern. If it’s stock bore, I would be willing to risk that I may have to go to .40 to get it correct.

I don't think it would require more than one pass to clean up the cylinders. Hell, a Flex Hone might clean it up, they have worked very well for me. Glad to hear that all the proper hardware is with it. That motor has potential.

I don't think it would require more than one pass to clean up the cylinders. Hell, a Flex Hone might clean it up, they have worked very well for me. Glad to hear that all the proper hardware is with it. That motor has potential.

My concern for the bore size came from the 8th picture. It appears that water was sitting in the cylinder for a long time and there looks like there is pitting which can go deeper than you can visually see. I would guess that a head gasket let go and coolant leaked into the cylinder and then sat for some amount of time. I definitely agree that one pass probably will clean it up but just wanted to make sure I put it out there that it could be an issue.

In personal experience I bought a set of pistons and brought them with a pitted block to the machine shop only to find that the pitting was deep enough that they had to go up to the next oversize piston. When things cost me money it probably makes me too overly cautious the next time I see something like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back