The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Question about knock?!?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spadepro22

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Seneca, South_Carolina
Starting to retune my car and I did a pull and let out because of knock light, turn around and did the pull again on same road with no changes and no knock? Can someone take a look at this log and tell me are you seeing something changing that would cause that? Have had this problem any times tuning my car. Keep in mind the tune isn't finished. E-85 fuel, 1450 fic and wally450 pump and my mod list is pretty much up to date.

Attachments

• log.2016.03.09-01.elg
    488.6 KB · Views: 61
If you cannot reproduce it easily then it's some weird spot in your tune's cells that you hit every now and then or you have phantom knock as mentioned. I've had weird lean spots that would induce knock if you stayed in the throttle but would be skipped if you just modulated it a bit..... I eventually identified the problem areas and richened them up a bit. I think I also removed some timing in the area and the knock went away completely. Also, mechanical knock caused by something else besides detonation shouldn't be hard to reproduce. Failing parts usually have the same harmonics as they did last time you stepped on the gas so if it's something like a busted axle boot or some crap like that you should be able to pick it up repeatably.

Maybe try lowering boost to around 12 psi (or as low as you can) and timing advance to peak at 5 degrees in any cells under boost, And see if the knock is still there. If knock is still present after lowering the boost and timing to the very low values, pretty sure it is mechanical. But if the knock goes way then it is most likely a tuning issue. Other than some final adjustments in afr/afratioest and getting your SD table to be less inflated, nothing looks out of place in this log either.

Maybe try lowering boost to around 12 psi (or as low as you can) and timing advance to peak at 5 degrees in any cells under boost, And see if the knock is still there. If knock is still present after lowering the boost and timing to the very low values, pretty sure it is mechanical. But if the knock goes way then it is most likely a tuning issue. Other than some final adjustments in afr/afratioest and getting your SD table to be less inflated, nothing looks out of place in this log either.

My boost is at its lowest level unless I change the wg springs which is a pain in the ass. Starting to hate this car. With e85 it shouldn't knock at 9*. Guess I'll have to try lowering it.

Is there a trick to reading elg files with an iPad? I can't usually read most posted logs.

Do you have a copy of the DSMLink client for your iPad?

Rhetorical question, since as far as I know there isn't one and you need the client software to read the log files.

Just got back from a week in Wailea....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back