The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G PTE 5557 Turbo Vs 16G tuning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VictorThiagov

Probationary Member
Apr 6, 2020
United State, Illinois
Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has any tuning experience swapping a 16g to a larger turbo such as mine, a 5557 journal bearing. I recently did the swap and am finding that the power difference has me very dissapointed. The 16g was running 22lbs with up to 19 degrees advance at WOT with zero knock. The 5557 cant seem to get any more than about 13 or 14 degrees without knocking and the power difference is a very slight edge for the 5557. I am running 91 pump gas with washer fluid injection. Does this seem normal or is there an aspect of tuning I am ignoring such as needing to up fuel preesure ect. I never changed the tuning much other than timing and afr tuning to keep it around 11.2:1. The only way I have measured difference is 70-90 times which went from 2.9sec to 2.7sec. Any help would be appreciated.vidmate mobdro word counter

Last edited:
If I were you I’d consider changing fuels, 91 octane is not sufficient for the timing your running , even when using meth injection. I’ve never been a fan of meth injection , it’s very inconsistent cylinder to cylinder. Have you tryed dropping the afr ? Somewhere in the 10s?

are you using to large of a nozzle cause you don't want to inject to much meth . on my car it ran a lot better with a smaller nozzle and air fuel around 11.7 . to rich and you have rich knock

I would try to richen it up some. Better fuel would make a world of difference. I went from 14b to 20g to hx35 to 62mm. Now the car is high compression with 62mm and even on e85 I am finding the car likes much less timing then I would have thought. Timing isn’t everything to making power.

Turbo charging question?

Im a complete nube to this.

But I saw a "16g TD05 Turbo" going for a bargain price with a bunch of other bits as the guy decided to go for a rotary swap instead, my questions are;

what is 16g? what is TD05? will it be appropriate for a 1.8 1995? Am I going full retard? will I need 550cc Injectors to accompany a turbo? would this be considered a big or small turbo?

as a side note its a ball bearing turbo brand new from a subaru sti

Thanks very much, sorry to clog up the sub with novice questions!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back