The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

AGP vs PTE 50 trim turbo > which is better?

Best 50 trim?

• AGP RS49T

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • PTE SCM-3051E

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • Other - please specify in a post

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Rohr

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2003
Best, Montana
I am shopping for a 50 trim for my car and have it down to the AGP RS49T or the PTE SCM-3051E. Both seem to have very similar specs and will probably make the same kind of power on the car. Anyone disagree?

My concern is now about price, quality, service and warranty. Does anyone have any feedback on dealings with these companies and/or their 50 trim turbos? Are they both known to be reliable turbos?

Thanks

Looks like my poll isn't very popular :( So far no votes for the PTE. I think I am going with the AGP but I wonder why the poll is so one-sided? Too bad the people who voted didn't post any comments.

Rob Rohr said:
Looks like my poll isn't very popular :( So far no votes for the PTE. I think I am going with the AGP but I wonder why the poll is so one-sided? Too bad the people who voted didn't post any comments.
no votes for PTE cause its hit or miss with them. Sometimes they are good, sometimes they leak oil, get shaft play etc.. stick with agp

I've had a half a dozen PTE turbos with zero problems, and a PTE 50-trim on my daily driver right now.

I believe alot of people got turned off from PTE because their origional turbos seemed to crap out pretty quickly. I believe the used to use a 270 deg bearing & now they use the 360, so the problems are supposed to be fixed.

Rob Rohr said:

I think people take notice of the fact that AGP Turbo is a DSMtuners.com site sponsor, and has a reputation that continues to improve with every transaction they make. As others have said, I'm not quite as confident of the PTE alternative.

It's probably that most feel their vote in the poll is reason enough.

Best of luck,

CanadianTalon said:
I've had a half a dozen PTE turbos with zero problems, and a PTE 50-trim on my daily driver right now.
why 1/2 dozen? I know people that have no problems and i know those that do (me and many others)

GSX said:
I think people take notice of the fact that AGP Turbo is a DSMtuners.com site sponsor, and has a reputation that continues to improve with every transaction they make. As others have said, I'm not quite as confident of the PTE alternative.

It's probably that most feel their vote in the poll is reason enough.

Best of luck,

I second that motion. One never seems to see a PTE rep. discussing turbos across and DSM boards whether it be here, NABR, or any other DSM board.

You simply can't go wrong with teh AGP RS49t. It's one of the only race parts you can buy with a real warranty. And with the current sale price, it's a no brainer.

Kevin@ AGP

ISUJakey said:
I second that motion. One never seems to see a PTE rep. discussing turbos across and DSM boards whether it be here, NABR, or any other DSM board.

PTE has reps on many different forums (including this one), some of them just choose to lurk or post very little for many different reasons. :thumb:

- Brian

gasguzzler said:
PTE has reps on many different forums (including this one), some of them just choose to lurk or post very little for many different reasons. :thumb:

- Brian

Show me someone directly from PTE and then I'll believe you. :thumb:

I say AGP, even though i run a pte 50 trim. Bought it about 2 years ago, since then ive had egine issues suchs as crankwalk then a spun rod bearing. Over the time ive owned the turbo ive put on it maybe lil over 3k miles. Now that the car is in good running order the turbo is giving signs of going out. This after a buddy of mine went through 2 of them in a year, and going 12.1@114 on the pte after he had went 12.3@111 w/ a big16g. I totally regret buying it and wish I put more thought into my purchase. I now consider the pte turbo a fad turbo just like the mutt's, they seemed cool at the time. But just like the mutt's nothing impressive coming outta them.

NeEmO6 said:
I now consider the pte turbo a fad turbo just like the mutt's, they seemed cool at the time. But just like the mutt's nothing impressive coming outta them.

Kinda like the new T04B turbos?? Standard Garrett CHRA with a custom cast turbine housing.

NOSLO2PT0 said:
Kinda like the new T04B turbos?? Standard Garrett CHRA with a custom cast turbine housing.

Lol those are a throwback retro fad turbo for mutts.

id go with an AGP turbo for a few reasons, first and foremost, it comes polished(compressor), second it has a bad azz warranty, third price is deff cheaper than the nearest competitior ive found, and finally, for me it is outta state so i pay zero sales tax and the $$ i pay for shipping is nowhere near 1/2 i would pay if i paid tax so, there you have it AGP all the wayyy, oh yeah ditch that rs49t and get a turbo youll probably never upgrade again "RS60T", lose a few rpms for full boost, but gain a world and a half of top end:)

Burnett03 said:
why 1/2 dozen? I know people that have no problems and i know those that do (me and many others)

Why 1/2 a dozen? Because I/my family has had cars that have gone through 6 turbos.
My DSM with a 50-trim, my son's DSM with an SC61 that he sold to a friend of ours, his integra with a GT30R, my GN with a PT74-GTQ, and my nephew's mustang with 2 PT67-GTQ's. None of them have failed on us. PTE powers some of the fastest cars in the world. Mike Moran, Tim Lynch, basically EVERY turbo pro 5.0 and SSO car, lots of other COTT cars, etc. DSM guys are the only ones I've seen complain about the quality of PTE stuff. On any of the mustang, camaro, buick, supra, vette, syclone, honda, etc, boards there is almost zero problems with PTE stuff. Part of it is obviously the fact that AGP and others sponsor these boards and people are much more likely to see AGP parts for sale (as I write this there's an ad for an AGP FMIC on the top of the page) than PTE parts, and another bit I think is there are a few stories of shaft play, bad seals, etc, and everybody runs away from PTE stuff and won't touch it, even though the quality and customer service is exceptional.

Instead of saying something bad about PTE, I'll say something good about AGP.

It's a small company, they answer the phones, they answer emails, and they believe in their products. Like all of my favorite companies, it seems like the employees don't just work there because it's a job. They want to be there. I have no idea whether or not that applies to PTE, but as companies get bigger, that kind of service always suffers.

The fact that PTE is a bigger company and supports xxxx famous racers doesn't really mean that much in terms of product quality. Personally, I prefer a company like AGP/FP/RRE that specializes in the type of car that I'm seeking an upgrade for.

I would like to see if the failing PTE turbos were actually bought direcetly from PTE. With all the look alikes around. I had a PTE 50trim for about 15,000 miles without incident. Ran my 7bolt to 12.7 and my 6bolt strokr to 11.9.

leadsled said:
Instead of saying something bad about PTE, I'll say something good about AGP.

It's a small company, they answer the phones, they answer emails, and they believe in their products. Like all of my favorite companies, it seems like the employees don't just work there because it's a job. They want to be there. I have no idea whether or not that applies to PTE, but as companies get bigger, that kind of service always suffers.

The fact that PTE is a bigger company and supports xxxx famous racers doesn't really mean that much in terms of product quality. Personally, I prefer a company like AGP/FP/RRE that specializes in the type of car that I'm seeking an upgrade for.

Thank you for saying positive comments :thumb:

PTE is probably not as big as you'd think. Often you will find PTE employees at major races across the country offering support to their customers. For instance, they were at the NHRA Sport Compact race in West Palm Beach, FL this past weekend. If you talk to the racers you will find that many of them run PTE products because of the support they provide both at and away from the track.

- Brian

I have the RS49t and the only complaint I have is that it got bearing play before I even installed it. I dunno if Ben would be able to help me with this but becides that I love the iron paper weight hot side from bullseye. The cold side owns, I dunno I might have track numbers soon. So far about 400 miles on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back