The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

planing on t4 turbo need input

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'RS-T

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Germansville, Pennsylvania
ok so im going to pick up a Air Research t4 turbo with a 60/AR cold side and 152/AR exhaust side and was wondering if this would fit in place of my old t3/t4 eBay turbo and also what you guys think about it. thanks

no i have not clue if that's even right that's just what the dude wrote that's selling the turbo i was thinking maybe like .63AR or something but i do wanna run low boost like 8psi

Rule #1 in turbocharging.....pick a turbo based on airflow potential at your boost level- NOT it's size.

If you put something on your stockish engine with a T4 flange and a 152 a/r turbine housing, it will never hit boost no matter what level you plan on running because of the enormous volumetric efficiency required to fill a turbine housing that huge let alone spin the turbine enough to generate boost. That turbo is designed to be run on a diesel engine with 7 liters of displacement and a 18.0:1 + compression ratio.

At 8psi a T25 will "feel" faster than your eBay T3 because it will spool quicker, and the boost level is more in it's compressor efficiency range. Just as you wouldn't pick a huge turbo and run low boost, you shouldn't pick a small turbo and run huge boost.

The biggest mistake made when purchasing a turbocharger is "it's bigger, so it must be better!" Totally untrue. Even when talking about two equally-spec'd turbos, one having a larger compressor wheel than the other- if you're not set up to take advantage of the added airflow, about the only thing you're going to gain is lag. This is the reason a 16G is the most popular upgrade turbo for a DSM....most of the cars on the road can't take advantage of any additional airflow over what a 16G can provide.

To further prove this, two seasons ago my buddy went from a TD05H 20G (TD05H turbine, 20G compressor) to a Frank Level 5 20G (TD06H turbine, Garrett 60-trim compressor) on his '95 TSi AWD. At 20psi, the airflow between the two turbos was nearly identical....but the Frank 5 spooled 400 rpms later. At 25psi, it's a completely different story. The TD05H 20G is now out of juice, and the Frank 5 is just beginning to shine.

right i understand so this maybe be a really really stupid question but do you think that i could use my ebay turbine and compresser housing with the internals of this t4 turbo?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back