The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Piston skirt coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian_CD9A

Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg, MB_Canada
I have a set of Wiseco pistons that are bare and don't have the typical coating that Wisecos have (like the picture). What are your opinions on these? Is it worth having the skirts (and crowns) coated for longevity?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I coat them in house professionally, and I'd suggest that your fine without the coating as far as wear is concerned. I think there is some benefit in regards to friction reduction.

PM me if your interested in getting them done.

Is adding a coating to an already limited spec size of the piston going to cause much of an issue? @bastarddsm normally they would add s coating but have machined for the tolerance already no?

The coating is very thin, usually less than 0.001", and typically I would sort of include the thickness of the coating in the clearance, by using the bottom of the clearance. That is say your piston manufacturer says 0.004-.005 clearance, I'd shoot for 0.004"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back