The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Phantom Coolant leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerreroandrew4688

Proven Member
Mar 27, 2022
fullerton, California
I’m not sure if it’s the head gasket or not but i seen on another thread on here about a “phantom coolant leak” and i have the same issue. Where the coolant keeps draining but it’s not overheating or nothing. It has white or gray smoke coming out the exhaust. My next step is if it’s something major i will take it to a shop. But if it’s something i can do myself i’ll do it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have smoke like that constantly I would say you are burning coolant. You will have to eliminate each possible source. Run a compression and leakdown test and check the turbo. You could eliminate the coolant going to the turbo and see if it stops. That would eliminate that possibility. Just because you aren't overheating etc does not mean it isn't a head gasket or something associated with that area. You will have to test to be sure.

Burning coolant isn't necessarily a headgasket. On our cars we can burn up coolant in a turbo also.

I started it up and man the engine sounded so weak like it wanted to die out. That being said it was hard to do the compression test. Whenever i start the car the whole area around me has white smoke. I think my best bet is taking it to a local shop and have them take a look at it as i don’t have much time.

I started it up and man the engine sounded so weak like it wanted to die out. That being said it was hard to do the compression test. Whenever i start the car the whole area around me has white smoke. I think my best bet is taking it to a local shop and have them take a look at it as i don’t have much time.
As this is also another indication of a leaking head gasket. Do this pull the spark plugs out and look for a tan or orange colored electrode on the spark plugs. This is the easiest and most accurate way to identify a leaking head gasket in our cars. Look for this notice the orange on the second plug.

@10's or bust , your picture, that I assume you were going to insert, isn't in your reply but would be a good one to reference!
Just letting you know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back