1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Patching Rust Holes

Posted by Clawless, May 25, 2019

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Clawless

Clawless Probationary Member

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    I'm trying to finish my 2g with cost effective methods but won't mind paying a welder to do the job right. My concern is if a satisfactory repair would be to use a bondo patch and lay fiberglass resin over it to fill the hole and then painting (After completely removing all rust). I'm trying to do this for in the wheel well where the images show and also a small hole in my trunk floor pan. Thank you!

Attached Files:

Street Build 216  1

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. EVLGSX

EVLGSX Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2017
    Wallingford, Connecticut
    bondo and fiber glass would be hack for sure.......dont do that

Street Build 1K  15

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ThunderChild likes this.
  3. DogWhistle

DogWhistle Proven Member

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Correct, fiberglass would be a cheap, temporary patch on the real problem.

The bad thing about rust is that for the size of the damage you see on the outside, there is an area twice as large on the other side of the metal. People that patch the hole area only, find the problem returning with a vengeance in the future.

It is so worth it to find someone to weld, or braze, in metal patches once you have cut back an area larger than the original hole. The key to making those repairs last, is to spray the backside of the patched area with por15, or equivalent, and maybe even some undercoating, without blocking any drain holes.

If you can’t access the back side of the repair, you may have to make an access hole to spray in the treatments, and then seal that hole with a plug.

2K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

2K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    manual · 4G63t Swapped

2K  6

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    385 whp · 378 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  4. sethkirk_2005

sethkirk_2005 Proven Member

Joined Mar 28, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Don’t do that. You will regret it down the road. I thought my car was rust free until I started seeing bubbles. The pictures show what I found. Someone had put bondo over the rust. I ground it all out and found it was a lot worst than it originally looked. I think you’ll probably find your rust is a lot worst than you think it is.

Attached Files:

5. Clawless

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Thanks, most of the rot i've found can be accessed from both sides. Spent most of the day today grinding it all off. I picked up por15 after hearing so many good things.

Street Build 216  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Clawless

Joined Jun 20, 2018
    Astoria, New York
    Same thing that happened to me. A little bit of noticeable rust turned into a two finger wide hole in my wheel well. Glad you did it the right way before it spread.

Street Build 216  1

fwd · manual · 2G DSM