1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G RUST ON GSX

Posted by Brandonjffrs96, Aug 14, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Brandonjffrs96

Brandonjffrs96 Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2019
    Bronson, Michigan
    Update: how much would just the rust repair no paint work cost? For good reliable work of course. I know the rust work is possible if taken care of now by the right people. This car has a lot of sentimental value to me so I’d like to save her.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020

Street Build 160  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 346  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. SasaniFab

SasaniFab Freelancer

Joined Dec 1, 2013
    danbury, Connecticut
    Not the worst I’ve seen, looks worth saving to me .... as long as it’s done correctly

Street Build 4K  20

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    645 whp · 498 lb/ft · 1G DSM
    Brandonjffrs96 likes this.
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Just convert the gst into a gsx using the gsx as a donor car, that car is so far gone that its not worth saving.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    If its sentimental then I get it, you do have to be cognizant though that there can be safety issues when certain body parts rust through/pull through in critical stressed areas, with that said lets face it, anything can be saved if a person wants to put in the time and money, I cant see a body shop wanting anything to do with that rust though, these days body shops dont even mess with any rust all, there just isn't profit in it like there is crash repair where its replacement of non rusted parts with new non rusted parts, the amount of time it takes a body man to fix rust and the frustration of messing with cutting out panels and replacing them, its just not going to be easy to find a shop with a person with those skills that the shop would even allow to do that work, shops have to warranty the work that they do and I cant see them seeing that car as a good risk for rust back through and warranty returns, your best hope is to find a body man that does work on the side, some of the guys in the dealerships that I have worked in did that stuff at home or at work on the side for fun and extra money, dont be afraid to corner one of the guys and ask them if they do it or know a guy that they can recommend that does it. If a shop were to take that in they would want 8k at least I would say, I was quoted 8k for the paint on my car and it has zero body issues, no rust, thats just to spray the car even if the paint and clear is supplied to them, top of the line products at that.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    spyderdrifter likes this.
  5. Brandonjffrs96

Brandonjffrs96 Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2019
    Bronson, Michigan
    got a quote today from a reliable shop thats been around for about 50 years near me. said 1500 for the rocker, strut tower and hatch. cars going in in a couple weeks for the repairs. if he does good work im gonna doube that and see what else he can get done. he has a legit paint booth as well so all this is amazing news for me, the gsx is getting saved!!

Street Build 160  5

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 346  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM