The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
My gsx is really rusted out in the engine bay i think its due to the fact that the idiot didnt have wheel wells in the car... :ohdamn: Ive had new strut towers welded in so those are ok but alot is just rotted out and looks like swiss cheese by the wheel wells and when i got hit because it was so rotted out everything just shifted over so i think the front end is moved to the right and it pulls a little bit.. i was thinking about cutting the whole front end off of a junk 2g that has no rust and welding it onto mine in the summer does that sound like a good idea? the car is too clean overall to scrap just because of some rust. My one friends gsx has had this done and he hasnt had any issues

So you are saying that the strut towers are new, but the wheel well is rusted? that is all one assembly with the strut tower. There is the lower rail which shouldn't in any way rust thru, and the strut tower assembly. That assembly goes from the firewall to radiator support. Post a picture of what you are working with. You can't just weld the whole front end of another car to yours without a frame jig to keep everything straight. It would take WAY less time and money to just fine a bare shell with no rust and swap everything from your car over.

I dont have any pics now and its way to late to get out of bed to get one but i will after i get off school tomorrow but new strut towers have been welded in the car so should i be worried about dying while im driving or is the rust i have just going to look like s*** but not hurt anything

Where is the rust exactly? If you have new strut towers (which are VERY hard to find) than the only possibly place is the lower frame rail, radiator support, and firewall. This is what a strut tower assembly looks like.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Yours was probably just repaired.

On mine it looks like maybe half of a strut tower was cut off of a different car or something? there is weld marks on the strut towers so it must have been repaired then.. is it safe to be driving my car? i mean the welds look good and the towers seem to be strong its just the other parts of the bay that are rusted ill be sure to get pics tomorrow

If you are going to go with cutting the whole front end off then you might as well just tube it out. It would be alot cheaper in the long run. Its not hard to tube it out just takes some time.

If you are going to go with cutting the whole front end off then you might as well just tube it out. It would be alot cheaper in the long run. Its not hard to tube it out just takes some time.

This is assuming that the op knows how to do all of that. IF not than you are probably looking at 5-10k to have someone tube frame the front of the car.

This is assuming that the op knows how to do all of that. IF not than you are probably looking at 5-10k to have someone tube frame the front of the car.

Nah not that much. It can be done professionally for about 2k. Its fairly simple to do but its alot of bolting and unbolting of body panels to make sure everything is lined up.

Nah not that much. It can be done professionally for about 2k. Its fairly simple to do but its alot of bolting and unbolting of body panels to make sure everything is lined up.

Yeah right, places around here want 1500-2000 just to do a simple roll cage. I'd be willing to bet that there aren't too many places out there that are going to completely cut the front end off of the car and fabricate a tube frame and re assemble it for 2k. Most shops charge 1000-1500 just to install an engine these days.

Where is the rust exactly? If you have new strut towers (which are VERY hard to find) than the only possibly place is the lower frame rail, radiator support, and firewall. This is what a strut tower assembly looks like.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Yours was probably just repaired.

That's my pic :)

Ok heres a vid of some of the rust i tried to get all of it in the video but it was kinda dark.. and yes i know then engine bay is ugly as piss

For some reason the video wont show up? how do i post a video i tried doing it as an attachment and it didnt show up.. i have a HD flip

Ok heres a vid of some of the rust i tried to get all of it in the video but it was kinda dark.. and yes i know then engine bay is ugly as piss

For some reason the video wont show up? how do i post a video i tried doing it as an attachment and it didnt show up.. i have a HD flip

You'll have to upload it to a server (Youtube or Photobucket) and link it here on the forum.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back