The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Passenger side door handle broke

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welcome to the biggest achilles heel of the 2g DSM body... My handles are now both black and I won't even bother painting them since the probability of braking another is so high...

You can buy black handles and use your body color shroud. You just have to do a little work to get the old one apart and replace the moving potion with the new black handle. IMHO it is a good compromise to having an all black handle/shroud.

I wouldn't bother with aftermarket handles. A new oem handle isn't cheap but it will last a little while. I had one done and painted for about 90$

Take off your old handle and bring it into the autoparts store and compare it to the lid on the duplicolor paint cans. For my car gm aspen white was an exact match. You can not tell it was ever replaced and it's better than black

On re installation, the key core clip is a pain In the butt. It's impossible to get two hands back there to slip the clip over the hole to retain the cylinder in the door handle assembly. Best advice is use a thin zip tie instead of that impossible c clip

Just replaced the driver handle for this same reason. Was a pain in the butt because I have bigger hands and you don't have much room to work with, LOL.

Just replaced the driver handle for this same reason. Was a pain in the butt because I have bigger hands and you don't have much room to work with, LOL.
I just did same exact thing last weekend also replaced all locks wasnt to easy

My passenger side door handle broke and wont open the door from the outside. It moves freely but does nothing. How can I fix it?
Mines broke too. you might wanna buy a set they are pretty cheap on eBay. And you'll have to remover your door panel, disconnect the metal rod that connects the handle to the latch and remove whatever else is holding it in place. Sorry I can't be more specific I still haven't gotten around to fixing it myself.

Mine broke at some point as well. Bought an oem one and painted it for about 60$. What I do now is just use the lever to pop open the door, then I just grab the door to put less stress on the handle assembly. Small hands will work wonders when doing this job. Regardless, your hands will get cut up

Small hands would make this easier, but yes, still gonna get scraped up. My arms are all scraped up from this and changing all my belts.

After replacing at least a dozen of these over time, you get used to it. I was able to replace one in 20 mins the other day, but that's only because the rod clip lined up on the first try. I find that to be much harder than the lock clip (which I pull to the side, then clip into place from the outside- you can actually pull the handle out quite a bit once the two bolts are out).
If you're having the problem of a "stretched rod" :D, as in your handle doesn't seem to engage, make sure you jam a nut into that hole while you have everything apart -Google "2g DSM door handle fix" and you'll find a bunch of write ups on what I mean. You may not even need a new handle. Many people repeateadly break handles because they never address the rod stretch and pull the new handle too hard. You should be able to open your door with one finger and minimal effort. If not, your rod is stretched too long.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back