The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Parts Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stapl3

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2004
MI, Michigan
Wondering if anyone can identify these parts. I bought this longblock used and am digging into it trying to figure out what's in there. I was told it was a 2.3 but am not seeing any clearances anywhere for that, so having my doubts.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 62
To confirm if it's a 2.3 or not, just check the depth from the deck to the edge of piston top when the piston is at BDC. If the depth is 100mm, that's a 2.3L engine. The rods are probably Eagle, you should see a logo or a part number on the side of beam. And the pistons, I can't be 100% sure but judging by piston skirt shape, I think those are old model of Arias or Wiseco (or maybe Ross). Could you upload a pic of piston top? If Wiseco, you should see a part number on piston top. If CP or JE, there should be a logo somewhere on the back side of piston top.

kinda looks like some cracks on this piston.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good eye, I'll check into that.

Snag is it's a completed long block and I'm not seeing any markings/labels on the parts. I had no interest in dissembling unless dustyboner ruined my party.

edit: So I lucked out and that is not a crack as it looks. The oil is super funky in this thing, almost snot like.
This engine as I dug into it, I saw oil in exhaust port #3. I determined this to be a valve seal. Next I drained the oil and wew was it thick. Clean but super thick. What I think happened was the engine was done correctly at the machine shop, the owner then assembled it but not as meticulously as it should have, then it started smoking after a little while. As a hail mary poured some honey oil in to no avail, then called it quits and sold it off to someone who parted it, and now it's in my hands. I see no reason not to run this engine, but it's going to have a T25 and several oil changes for a while.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back