The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

One Week until the 2013 Ultimate Track Car Challenge!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been looking at going to a FMIC while keeping AC, currently running air/water with a small heat exchanger in front instead of intercooler. Recently I bought a Solstice GXP and was looking at the setup on it, (FMIC w/AC) They have the FMIC out in front of course, then about a 4 inch space between it and the AC/Rad cores then have a large electric puller fan on the back of the rad. they have the bottom of the FMIC about an inch above the bottom of the rad and have a curved piece of plastic from under the FMIC curving up into the gap and an air dam on the bottom of the rad support essentially creating a large air scoop under the car to flow air into the AC/RAD cores. The are basically keeping the FMIC in a seperate air space from the AC/RAD. I was thinking of doing the same thing on my car but i'll probably have to go to a partial tube front end and im not sure how "legal" that would be for NASA and I'm not sure im up for the fabricating task as of yet. But! I do have a 90 talon parts car that will be turned into a Rally-X car eventually so I might start on that to work out the design and then build the final product again on my 92.

Run your fan on the drivers side pulling air all the time or above 170 on/ 160 off and have the passenger side one run on the normal 190/180 cycle.

I'm not sure how you have your FMIC currently mounted but it sounds like your trying to push air from the front of the car through the FMIC, AC core and Rad core with the same air supply and from my testing on a friends car without AC there just isnt enough air getting through the FMIC to cool the rad at any speed. puller/pusher fans help but they have to be big enough and flow enough to provide 95-100% of the airflow needed to cool the system at high load with no help from the outside air pushing through.

I highly recommend a CDI with any COP setup. ARC-2 + 300M coils and a quality harness. I used teflon jacket wire and kept the harness above the coil plate for easy servicing.
Invalid Request

I'm using chrysler 2.4 coils mounted to a thick aluminum plate w/stock ignition system. have not had any problem out of them. Yes I got it off ebay but its very well built, cnc cut plate, new coils and boots, High temp wiring and new connectors.

My ducting has two airflow paths for the radiator: one through the fmic and one above. The mouth of the bumper cover and this pathing was designed by Andrew Brilliant and calculated to be enough for the cooling of the car, but of course he didn't have an a/c condenser in the mix. If you want to see a sketch see his video here at the 1:36 mark (you'll have to pause it as he only shows it briefly):
Andrew Brilliant Time Attack Eclipse FWD Part I - YouTube

So I'm playing with fire trying to be a track car and keep that condenser but I'm willing to do that because it's a necessity for now. I get a few laps in currently before hitting high temps and that's still plenty for Time Trials. As for fans, my two fans have been enough to keep the car temps cool and steady in the hottest of weather here in VA while driving slowly or standing still. We'll have to see how just one fan runs with the a/c on during street driving, and how it possibly helps on track. Worked today but it's not very hot today and I wasn't out for very long (was out trying to get the car to pass emissions... stupid visual cat inspection aargh LOL

The Spoolinup coils I was playing with have run fine on 800+whp drag Evos without a CDI, which is why we were playing with them without a CDI, to see how they might work on a DSM driven by the stock (well ecmlink, but that doesn't change much) ecu. I don't know if the Evos were still in a wasted spark setup, or sequential, but I'll discuss that with the Spoolinup when I go to his house in the coming weeks as we think about how we might get this working reliably. He has a CDI just sitting on a work bench we may end up trying but we want to confirm the failure wasn't anything else first.

I was very sad I couldn't go to this event help pit for you! Hopefully next year I will be in a better position to join you. I might even have one of my DSMs street legal AND running! How many more events do you plan on racing in this season?

I thoroughly enjoyed the write up, thank you very much!

I've seriously thought about relocating the condenser but the cost of custom hoses and pipes is prohibitive and the abuse the condenser would take from road debris and such would most likely kill it pretty quick.

Haha interesting idea :) I'll keep it in mind. My accusump's underneath the rear though not leaving much room for anything as large as a condenser.

to make it more reliable on the alt you need to ditch your A/C! then you can relocate it to the rear of the block! you know you have to do this to make it last. and while your there loose the PS pump and get an electonic unit then you dont have to worry about any of that stuff up front!

Bobby if you're volunteering to figure out the electronic power steering mess and come fan me while I drive to and from track events I will ditch the a/c and ps, just for you ;)

Relocated high output GM alternator, electric p/s, electric a/c. Prius a/c still works in electric mode, but I'm guessing it runs off the battery pack. Boats definitely use DC a/c systems.

Or solid state cooling:
Koolbox

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back