The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Oil Temperature Gauge Sender [Merged 5-7] temp mount adapter sump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which port would you suggest? I already used one for my oil pressure, thats the one facing the firewall

dls93tsi, o

can you post a pic of where you put the oil pressure gauge?
or anybody?? im a little lost :confused:

First of all I searched about it and nothing found :coy:

I installed GReddy oil temp gauge, but I couldn't find good location to install the sensor. I'm using 90 oil filter housing with Earl's oil cooler with 8AN braided SS lines ... I'm thinking to put the sensor just after the oil cooler but NO idea how to install it :confused:

Any help is appreciated :thumb:

I could never decide what is a more important numer to me. how hot the oil coming out of y motor is, or how hot it is going in.

if you mount it in the opil pan you are going to get a reading of how hot it is coming out of the motor.

if you mount it post cooler, you will get an idea of how hot it is going in.

which is more important?

i would imagine the oil pan mount would allow to know if you are running your oil too hot and potentially causing it to break down.

if you are getting your reading after the cooler it would give you an idea of how efficient the cooler is operating.

I'm sure there is a thread for this one but i would like to see the debate.

Sump temperature is usually preferred with the understanding that instantaneous temps inside the engine will be 20-50 degrees higher. I accomplished this with a Moroso oil pan which included a bung for oil temp. For stock oil pan, you would need to remove it from the car and braze a bung in the pan. You could get a 'Tee' arrangement and put it inline with the oil cooler, but that is not going to really give you the numbers you want. If you choose to go the Tee arrangement inline with plumbing, instrument the output of the pump BEFORE the cooler. That will be closer to sump temperature.

how about removing one of the the allen plugs and replacing it with a 3/8 npt to 1/8 npt reducer.

SlowSpyder said:
how about removing one of the the allen plugs and replacing it with a 3/8 npt to 1/8 npt reducer.

That is good idea BUT the greddy temp sensor about 1in length and it is possible causing obstruction for the oil flow ... I'm not sure about that and I don't want to take the risk :confused:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

any one did that?

Just wanted to know if its ok to run my oil temperature sensor on the side of the head where the oil feed line for the turbo use to be?

(I also have a 90' cooler and ill be running my oil feed line and oil pressure from the 90' housing)

You're better-off in the sump after it's gone through all the bearings, but it won't matter that much. Oil temps seldom vary much from water temps in a healthy engine.

So, I am starting to do the basic things on my car and I wanted to install an aftermarket oil temp gauge. Question is : Where do I install the sensor ? I was thinking about getting one of these, any other idea ? Where did you install it ? Any experience with these things ?

Thanks

Ok, I've read many threads asking 'what gauges do I need / what gauges should I get' . . . The question here is:

Which gauge is more important? Oil Temp or Water Temp?

Now I realize with a stock 91+ oil cooler setup, the two temperatures will most likely
be fairly close to each other (am I correct?). But let's say with an Air/Oil cooler, which
would be more pertinent to have of the two? Oil or Water ?

Get both.

I would say that water temp is more important because you will use it more. You are more likely to leak coolant and need ample warning of this. If your oil leaks then you will lose pressure and won't really notice a difference in temp until it's too late. Add an oil pressure gauge to that list, the stock one is worthless too. Most of the stock guages are about as good as idiot lights. If your using you car for something far more severe than a daily commute, then oil temp would be a real concern. Some guys will tell you that oil temp is crucial with a turbo car, but that is what a turbo timer is for or just letting your car cool off after hot lapping the neighborhood.

Hope this helps.

With an oil cooler you won't need an oil temp. gauge. I installed an external oil cooler and it does run cooler but it's not important to have one. That is something I would get if I had a free spade in a pod or something. It's nice to know but water temp. is a lot more important. Knowing where your thermostat is opening and when you are is overheating is important. My Autometer gauge will hit almost 220 before my stock one comes off of the center and starts to climb. Oil temp. is very crucial on a turbo car. Not just for the turbo. I put one of for the simple fact that when I rebuilt my motor the bearings showed signs of the oil getting too hot and not doing it's job. A turbo timer is to help the bearings in the turbo so you don't seize them up after getting them hot. You should just get water temperature for now and when you start getting into big upgrades then get into the more informational gauges...Your EGT, Oil temp and stuff like that.

I doubt you'll have room for an oil filter if you try using that. You're best-off putting it in the sump.
Oil temperature is almost redundant. It runs very near water temperature.

Sounds pretty good, guess it's time to go out and get a new sensor from Apex'i.

I also completely agree that the stock gauges (for the most part) being fancy 'idiot lights'

I tried to do the same thing using the Greddy block adapter and as stated, you most likely will not have clearance for your oil filter (I certainly didn't). My solution, and something I was going to do anyway, was to remote the oil filter and then clearance for that is much less an issue. I didn't want to drill into anything if I didn't have to.
r-
Ray

Hi,

I have a 96 GSX. I have the oil temp sending unit in down by the filter. I have been getting my guage spiking, I believe from interference. So, I am planning on moving it or if not just rewiring it. Does anyone know of a good spot that they have theirs at?

Thanks,
Alex

I remeber seeing someone thread it into the cap port on the head once: infact 2nd picture down here http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166285&highlight=greddy I dont know how well it works but its avilable. Also I seen greddy sell the oil drain bolt adpater so you thread it into a adpater and plug your oil pan with it BUT I DO NOT LIKE THIS IDEA, true it would give a good reading since oil is biltup on it, but if it breaks off (say something flips up and rips the sensor off) then you lose your engine. plus everytime you change your oil you have to dink around with teh senosr to prevent breaking it, and would need to disconnect it everytime. You could also build a AN turbo supply line (3 or 4) and use one of those AN to npt adapters and place it somewhere in the middle of the line to monitor the the temp of oil going to the turbo, but I do not know how acurate that is? Kind of like how they monitor pressure on a fuel line, except your checking temps.

ok thanks. I was hoping for a place I could just screw it in.

Anyone else have any ideas?

sorry I am so newb, but how do I do this do I need to buy a line?

Thanks.

The only problem w/ remote mounting the sensor is the oil would cool and you wouldn't get an accurate reading. Best place I could think of is in the pan weld on a bung and there you go. That way you are in the thick of it and you should get a good reading of the temp.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back