The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Oil Temperature Gauge Sender [Merged 5-7] temp mount adapter sump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamenPride

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2002
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just wondering where people with oil temperature gauges have put the sender. I was thinking of putting it on the oil filter housing, since that seems to be the easiest place (I already have the oil pressure gauge sender on there also). The probe is like .5" long, and wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any problems with it blocking the passages or anything.

I have my sender in the same place no problems at all.

I just installed an oil temp gauge. During highway cruising it reads as shown below. Seems kind of high to me, but just wondering what everyone else sees. I'm using Castrol Syntec 10W-40 if it matters.

Attachments

• highway oil temp.jpg
    highway oil temp.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 905
I have an oil temp gauge too.

I reads about the same as yours.

When my motor is back together I running a big oil cooler to keep it under 220.

Just for a data point, I rode around VIR with a guy in a new Z06. He was running it pretty hard and then backed off after a few laps due to oil temp. It climbed to 275F. I asked him what oil he was running and he is running 15W50 Mobil 1. This guy is much older than me and young cocky guy says "Mobil 1 is good for much higher temps...what gives?". He told me from his experience with SB chevys year ago (circle track), they would go forever if you kept oil temps below 250-265. Once you got over that, he said they started wearing components out in a hurry. So, he would take it easy for a couple laps to let the oil get down to below 250 and then get on it again.

Interesting data point. I hope to have oil pressure/temp before I go to the road course again.

They make insulating sleeves that fit over the oil filter (kind of a like a drink coozie) that blocks heat. Im thinking of getting one if I can find one. Its a good idea too since the oil filter is right next to the downpipe. If anyone knows where to get them, PM me.

Originally posted by el aguila
They make insulating sleeves that fit over the oil filter (kind of a like a drink coozie) that blocks heat. Im thinking of getting one if I can find one. Its a good idea too since the oil filter is right next to the downpipe. If anyone knows where to get them, PM me.
i dont see that helping very much.. that is only one part that you are blocking heat from.. the inside of the motor is just as hot as that downpipe.. save your money on for something else..

I typically run 102-103 Celsius during normal driving, close to what you are showing. When my head gasket went, it went up to 112-115 even though the coolant temp didn't budge for a good long while.

They make insulating sleeves that fit over the oil filter (kind of a like a drink coozie) that blocks heat.
I think that could have been worded a little better. They don't block heat, they dissipate it. If you've seen them, they look like a huge heat-sink for a computer processor. They're the same exact concept - they're a large heat-sink made of aluminum that is meant to absorb the heat circulating in the oil filter and transfer it to air. Sounds like a pretty decent idea to me if you can get air blowing on it - your radiator works in much the same fashion, just on a larger scale with air forced on it while you drive. The manufacturer of one brand claims (up to) a 20* decrease. The fact that the downpipe is right next to the filter is a bad thing in this situation, as the heat transferred to the air around the filter would prevent some heat from leaving the heat-sink.

Originally posted by psychlow
I think that could have been worded a little better. They don't block heat, they dissipate it. If you've seen them, they look like a huge heat-sink for a computer processor.
I've seen those, I don't know if they make one to fit the little toy filter on the DSMs. You'd want another shield near it to keep it from _absorbing_ heat from the downpipe, and a duct make from a junkyard defroster duct or a bit of sheet aluminum would help, too. Still, I don't know if the tiny bit of exposure time the oil spends in the filter would help all that much, and you're only cooling on the skin of that little thing.

Originally posted by Defiant
Water and oil temp will usually run very close to the same.

Shouldn't... The water temp is regulated by the thermostat, in my case it ends up being about 83C. Oil temp will rise as the load on the engine rises. I see 100-105C in town, 110 on the e-way and 120 on the open track...

Get some Thermo Tec exhaust wrap for the downpipe. It keeps the exhaust heat from transfering into the oil pan and filter. I don't know about you, but my 3" dp sits really close to the oil pan.

They also make a Heat Sink like sleave to help lower oil temps. I am not sure how much it will lower it though.

Figures I go back and read the rest of the thread and I see everyone has already said this. OMG

:shhh:

Some local guys have done a filter relocation kit and found that it drops oil temps 10-15 degrees. Try Summit or Jeg's.

how hard can it be to locate a oilcooler and put in there? cant be that much trouble and would do wonders for the engine:)Thats my route during the tear down this winter for sure! Will aslo add a sprayer nozzle for the 5th gear on the tranny..spraying the 5th with separately cooled ooil will save the tranny alo.Have afriend who raced EVO II-II for a few year4s and they found out that what you tear thmost is 5th gear....so they did this and never replaced it again...

Well well ...always worth a shot:)

Originally posted by pneumo
Get some Thermo Tec exhaust wrap for the downpipe. It keeps the exhaust heat from transfering into the oil pan and filter. I don't know about you, but my 3" dp sits really close to the oil pan.

Did you relocate the filter? I can *barely* change my filter and I've got the RS*R that starts at 2.5 and flares out to 3". I was going to do a 3"dp, but I'd have to disconnect the dp everytime I'd change the oil!?

my tials dump tube comes down right next to my filter and then goes back into the downpipe, i have to pull the filter off about half an inch let it hit my downpipe then rotate it and squeeze it out LOLol

Originally posted by Defiant
I've seen those, I don't know if they make one to fit the little toy filter on the DSMs.
I saw it on the queer-ass show on TNN (or SpikeTV, if you wanna call it that) on the weekends with those two really cool :rolleyes: white guys that think they're thugs... if I recall the one they had was specifically designed for the Eclipse/Talon/Laser, but I'll check and see if I can find it.
You'd want another shield near it to keep it from _absorbing_ heat from the downpipe, and a duct make from a junkyard
I'd say wrap the downpipe in the insulation and then put the cooler on the filter and test it out. If it gave you results, great... if not, remove it and call it dead weight. I wonder what would happen if you were to create one with a flat side and mount a small fan or two on top of it........ either that, or use a ram-air type system to force air onto the heatsink. Or both.

Just a couple stupid ideas to try for anyone having problems keeping their oil cool and don't mind fabbing. :thumb:

With exhaust wrap on the dp my cruising temps on the freeway were 210. After relocating my oil filter using a large V8 filter (holds a full quart) they dropped to 195. This is with a water/oil cooler, not the 90 air/oil setup.

I am installing an Oil Temp gauge, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to install it. I want to have it on the oil pan, so the sensor reads the oil going into the pickup, but I'm not sure what to make the bung out of or how to fit it, could I possibly just drill a hole the size of the sensor fitting and "thread" it into the pan while applying generous amounts of JB Weld to ensure a seal? or is that a bad idea?

Greddy sells an adaptor that mounts between the oil filter and housing. It has 2 gauge ports, you can use the other for an oil pressure sensor. I don't know how well your method would work though.

Don't drill into the pan. The gauge of metal is not thick enough to support threads and if the JB Weld starts to break down and falls into the pan you could possible do some bearing damage before the filter catches it. The adaptor would be the way to go. Why do you want to know the temperature going into the pick-up? Coming out of the oil cooler would be a better choice.:cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back