The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil Squirters? [Merged 8-9]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes =^.^=

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Rockland_NY
I may be building a stroker engine. And the 4g64 shortblocks don't come with oil squirters. Should I have them machine shop put 1g style ones in? If so how much should it cost me? Or should I not use them, and get my pistons ceramic coated.

I have heard that are alot of turbo-charged cars don't have oil squirters.

Thanks in advance.

If im not mistaken the 4g63T has oil jets at the bottom of the block or wherever, that shoot oil at the pistons the cool them down, right??? Well if that is so, this guy that owns a local car shop owns a Nissan Skyline, and he said that his Skyline had oil jets. But when he rebuilt his motor he took them out or blocked them off or something. Reason being he said it takes more power for the oil jets to constantly spray. Anyone ever take thiers out, or anyone heard of this???

i doubt thats true. By blocking the oil jets (AKA: oil squirters) you will simple raise the oil pressure. The oil pump will be working just about as hard if not harder, and using at least the same power from the engine.

p.s. I'm not sure if the engine you're talking about is different, but it seems unlikely

That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard :rolleyes: . The only reason I see for removing the the oil squirters is if you had a piston clearance problem, but I would leave them in if at all possible . Yes the oil cools the pistons and is a great thing to have in a turbo aplication (Longer engine life) . I would not run without them. Keep them in if you can. But what do I know

They don't spray all the time in a 4g63. They have pressure valves in them so they wont drip at lower pressures. Taking them off is just stupid. Especially if the manufacturer put them there :mad:

terrible said:
They don't spray all the time in a 4g63. They have pressure valves in them so they wont drip at lower pressures. Taking them off is just stupid. Especially if the manufacturer put them there :mad:

So are also saying that removing the balance shafts is stupid? The manufacture put them there.

Some people keep the oil squiters some don't, they aren't needed.

I meant that the manufacturer put them there vs/ putting them in. Like some put the oil squirters in the n/a block just to keep things a bit cooler. As with all things it's an opinion. I'll keep mine thank you very much.

The non-turbo 1g 7-bolts had no oil squirters. I know someone that had this swapped into his 2g. Runs perfect. Some say that the squirters are the cause for CW, but nothing is for certain in that category.

WTF? a cause for crank walk? Have you ever even had a 4g63 apart? How can they possibly have anything to do with cw?

The non-turbo 1g 7-bolts had no oil squirters.

Neither did the n/a six bolts. But they have holes drilled and tapped just plugged from the factory.

terrible said:
WTF? a cause for crank walk? Have you ever even had a 4g63 apart? How can they possibly have anything to do with cw?

check out the website for magnus motorsports. they chopped a 7 bolt and a 6 bolt motor to compare for reasons of crankwalk, the oil squirters were different and the source of oil that goes to those squirters were different. they did say that lack of oil being sprayed by the squirters add to CW. check out the site, they got pix and explanations.

i did have a 4g63 apart, just a few weeks ago before my engine rebuild (coz of CW).

As I said before they have a "check ball" in them so no oil will pass until a certian pressure is reached. Besides that, it isn't pressure alone that sustains an engine anyway, it's pressure and volume. If you have enough oil flowing pressure is of no matter as long as it is above 8psi at all times. These numbers are for an n/a engine and I'm sure are diffrent for a turbo application as there are some extra cuircumstances involved (heat, and more bearings)

It's a well known fact to anyone that builds engines, heat kills. More coling=longer life, more oil=more cooling. Simple right? :thumb:

terrible said:
As I said before they have a "check ball" in them so no oil will pass until a certian pressure is reached. Besides that, it isn't pressure alone that sustains an engine anyway, it's pressure and volume. If you have enough oil flowing pressure is of no matter as long as it is above 8psi at all times. These numbers are for an n/a engine and I'm sure are diffrent for a turbo application as there are some extra cuircumstances involved (heat, and more bearings)

It's a well known fact to anyone that builds engines, heat kills. More coling=longer life, more oil=more cooling. Simple right? :thumb:
the 2G oil squitrters have been know to stick open and thus when say at idle here you have almost 15 PSI you might see more like 5. Depends. The 1G I think has it's oil squirters freed from the oil galley and the 2G is feed from the main bearings. I might be wrong with the 1G but I know it's not from the main bearnings like the 2G is.

Does it cause crankwalk? Noone knows for sure. Are they good. Yes. The extend engine life by kepting the pistons cool. They are set to come on at over 40 PSI of oil pressure. Basicly hiigh RPM driving where you're likely to be boosting.

And most all engines need 10 PSI of oil pressure for every 1K RPM. so 10 PSI ant 1K and 80 PSI at 8K RPM... It's a rule of thumb. And to much oil pressure is bad as it can actually start to wash away the bearings. (I've seen it happen on a V8 that pegged a 100PSI oil press gauge at idle)

It should also be mentioned that stock pistons are designed to work with the oil squirters, we're as aftermarket pistons are designed to work without them. Every motor that I build to go into my personal cars, including the one in the AWD race car does not have oil squirters.

2 Cents

Nate
SBR

including the one in the AWD race car does not have oil squirters.

See: RACE CAR

I don't know about the other guys on here but I drive a street car. If every last second counts yes buy all means take out anything that might sow the car down or suck power. But as for me, I like them.

I think alot of it is opinion also. To each thier own.

terrible said:
See: RACE CAR

I don't know about the other guys on here but I drive a street car. If every last second counts yes buy all means take out anything that might sow the car down or suck power. But as for me, I like them.

I think alot of it is opinion also. To each thier own.

SEE: Personal Cars

Both the motors in my GVR4 and my 1G FWD have no oil squiters. They have 4k and 8k miles on them respectivly. Your are correct though, its all personal opinion. You will find that almost every performance shop building a 7-bolt motor will also block of the oil squirters to raise oil pressure to the rest of the motor.

Nate
SBR

Well anyone that's going to build a 7bolt better do everything he/she can to make it last. It's the same argument over balance shafts. Some leave them in, some do everything they can to get them out.

Also are you running factory cast pistions in those two cars?

terrible said:
Well anyone that's going to build a 7bolt better do everything he/she can to make it last. It's the same argument over balance shafts. Some leave them in, some do everything they can to get them out.

Also are you running factory cast pistions in those two cars?

Nope, not a chance! LOL

Both are Ross piston motors. If someone is building a stock motor, or a popular 2g piston/ 1g rod motor I would keep the squirters in. If you using a forged piston, take them out, just my opinion.

Nate
SBR

red91gst said:
Nope, not a chance! LOL

Both are Ross piston motors. If someone is building a stock motor, or a popular 2g piston/ 1g rod motor I would keep the squirters in. If you using a forged piston, take them out, just my opinion.

Nate
SBR

Why would you make this argument for forged pistons?

On a six bolt always keep them.

They do nothing to harm anything and can only help no matter what kind of pistons you have.

i just built a 2.3 7 bolt and i took them out, and also removed balance shafts, @ idle i have 30psi of oil pressure and when im on the gas around 90-100psi, and like someone said earlier marco @ magnus did a study or experiment and a 7 bolt without oil squirters held up when one with oil squirters didnt! dont know about you but that was enough proof for me!! and heres another kicker, i run a stage 5 bj head and bj said take them out to.

The reason I am asking is because I am going to be building a 2.4l block up and the g4cs does not come with oil squirter holes drilled. I like my oil squirters and would prefer if the g4cs had them. How hard would it be to have them installed?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back