The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil psi keeps rising after car is warm.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentenorris

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2009
Knoxville, Tennessee
Just as the title says, the oil psi gets higher after the car has been warmed up. This is going off the stock gauge, I know that is not a good sorce but this has just started doing this. It never got over half way regaurdless of rpm. Now it gets right before the second mark on the stock gauge. I have read numerous theards about the gauge sender but would this cause this problem?

Any opinions?:hmm:

Well the gauge could be bad. Its a 21 year old sensor. I would try an aftermarket gauge and see what the pressure is on it. Then go from there.

You can replace the sensor unit that is at the Oil filter Housing.
If the problem insist, then replace your gauge unit.
That's if you want to keep your car as (STOCK).

I would replace it with an After Market unit, which is more accurate and will let you know exactly where your oil psi are at.

Thanks for everyones opinions. I'm goiong to replace the gauge with an aftermarket unit. Ive watched the gague and will not do it untill it get past 3k at highway speeds. (anything above 60mph) Should i go with mechanical or electrical unit

Thanks for everyones opinions. I'm goiong to replace the gauge with an aftermarket unit. Ive watched the gague and will not do it untill it get past 3k at highway speeds. (anything above 60mph) Should i go with mechanical or electrical unit

Id like to know this answer also.

I have an autometer electircal pressure guage. Can I just wire the input wire from the guage to the sending unit and just remove the wire from the stock harness?

Sorry for the thread hijack brentenorris

I personally like the mechanical gauges but this is a matter of preference.

On my cars, oil pressure was always highest at cold start. My old hyundai was around 75-80 psi at start up, then warm at idle id say around 20-25. So getting higher just don't right unless something is seriously going on.

I liked my electronic gauge. Didn't have to deal with running that line from the oil pressure location to the cabin.

I have an AEM Elc. And it works grate.

It is faster then Mechanical.

But. It's up to you, there are good reviews on both of them.

Personally,,,,, I would go with an electrical....

Id like to know this answer also.

I have an autometer electircal pressure guage. Can I just wire the input wire from the guage to the sending unit and just remove the wire from the stock harness?

Sorry for the thread hijack brentenorris

You need to use the After market sensor and gauge.

You can't use an after market sensor with your stock gauge, nor the stock sensor with an after market gauge.

Wires, does not matter which ones you use, You can use the stock lines or different one..
I wouldn't recommend to use the stock lines which will be more labor.

Hope this helps.

It's ok man. Well i went and got a cheapo mechanical oil psi gauge. To my surprise the oil psi at a cold start jumped up to 80psi then dropped to about 55 after it was compleatly warm the oil psi held at 11psi. I still need to drive it. This problem only happen at highway speeds over 3k. My bs delete consist of cutting the bs off and turning the bearings in the block the ofh is not ported. Thank you all for the help.

Well it's the gauge sender going bad. Drove around last night for a lilltle while and everything is checking out ok. Thanks to all the people that helped. How do i tag this thread as resolved?

It's ok man. Well i went and got a cheapo mechanical oil psi gauge. To my surprise the oil psi at a cold start jumped up to 80psi then dropped to about 55 after it was compleatly warm the oil psi held at 11psi. I still need to drive it. This problem only happen at highway speeds over 3k. My bs delete consist of cutting the bs off and turning the bearings in the block the ofh is not ported. Thank you all for the help.

Well it's the gauge sender going bad. Drove around last night for a lilltle while and everything is checking out ok. Thanks to all the people that helped. How do i tag this thread as resolved?

Go the the top of the thread and click on (Thread Tools) and it will show (Mark This Thread as Solved).

Click it and that will be it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back