The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G oil pressure gauge randomly stopped working?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
this is my daily 96 2g dsm gsx auto completely bone stock 114,xxx miles, i brought it to get a wheel alignment and i stood and watched the whole thing, everything went fine,

the car stayed idling for about 20 min up on the alignment lift idled fine no issues,

when the car came down and i drove off i realized the factor oil gauge wasnt working, i thought maybe the plug got undone from the bell looking pressure sensor,

well it was on and the wire was not broken,

so heres what i did,

1st - took off plug and cleaned the sensor as well as the clip (did not work)
2nd - cut and put a new wire and clip on (did not work)

can the sensor just go out like that? and ive been driving it for 2 days with no issue!

im gonna replace the sender right now and see, but in the meen time please through out ideas!

Yes, they can go out like that. I once had to buy 3 new ones just to find one that worked.
The stock gauge is not really good for anything. If you're worried about oil pressure, take the oil cap off while the car is running, you should see oil being thrown around

Everyone's going to tell you to get an aftermarket gauge, and I agree, but be prepared

Also, the fact you've been driving for 2 days, tells me your pressure is fine and it's most likely the gauge/wiring

Yes, they can go out like that. I once had to buy 3 new ones just to find one that worked.
The stock gauge is not really good for anything. If you're worried about oil pressure, take the oil cap off while the car is running, you should see oil being thrown around

Everyone's going to tell you to get an aftermarket gauge, and I agree, but be prepared

Also, the fact you've been driving for 2 days, tells me your pressure is fine and it's most likely the gauge/wiring

yea i know about the oil cap, everything is fine there that was the 1st i checked, but i put in a sensor from the red car in my profile pic and i know it was working and thats not working either, so ill try a brand new one and see what happens, but it dosnt make sense?!

and NO AFTERMARKET ON THIS CAR, GAUGES INCLUDED!! I WANT TO FIX THE PROBLEM

No need to yell, could be electrical then. Follow the wire and make sure it's not being grounded. There's a way to test the gauge by grounding it...
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-test-oil-pressure-gauge.164170/

Try that.

LOL i wasnt yelling, i was stating in bold letters that, please dont anybody tell me that LOL no hate, but i will try grounding it and see what happens, thanks for that thread because i couldnt find much on this besides check the wire with clip to see if it fell off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back