The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Oil leak after BSE install **VIDEO**

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
Hey guys. Couple weeks ago I spun my rear balance shaft bearing. So this week I pulled the motor. Below is a list of parts I installed:

BSE Kit from Extreme PSI.
Front Case Gasket set from Extreme PSI
1G rebuilt head
1G intake manifold
1G TB

Followed the step by step BSE kit instructions right off of VFAQ (Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit Install). Everything went well and didn't have any issues with the BSE install.

Replaced all the seals and gaskets on the front case. Yesterday I got the engine back in the car and started it up. There is a good size leak coming from under the front case. Pulled the timing cover off to get a better look, cleaned everything up, still can't seem to find the leak.

The auto tensioner and tensioner arm are wet. And pretty much everything under that. Everything on the left side of the front case is dry. The leak is coming from somewhere in the middle to the rear side of the front case.

I have the timing belt back off right now. Going through everything I can. What are some things I can check for leaks?

BSE kit and front case gaskets.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Front case.

Engine shots.

Video.
Faline- DSM TSi Front case leak after BSE install - YouTube

I chose to prime the oil pump while I had everything apart. Was it neccessary? Maybe not.

I put the timing belt back on and started up the car. There is still a leak. I am pretty sure the front case is cracked around the bolt above the castle plug.

Put an o ring behind the castle plug like it is supposed to have. There is a lot of oil pressure behind that plug. The rtv and jb weld is just squishing out when tighten the plug.

Put an o ring behind the castle plug like it is supposed to have. There is a lot of oil pressure behind that plug. The rtv and jb weld is just squishing out when tighten the plug.

I never took the O Ring out. It turned out that it wasn't even leaking to begin with. It was a crack above the castle plug.

I got about 6 good front cases with oil pumps here. 50 shipped.

I need one with the BSE plugs since mine is JB Welded on. I don't know if I can get it out without screwing it up.

Get a socket with an extension that will fit in back of your front case and give it a good whack with a hammer it will come out

Not a bad idea. I am going to have a friend weld it. I've heard many people with a cracked front case get them welded and positive results.

Another friend has one with the BSE installed and he wants $90 for it.

EDIT: Pics of the crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back