The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

ECMlink Not running correctly, need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It’s not as complicated as people make it out to be. The base ve settings in link will have just about any car running and driving.

Why is it that when someone’s car is having major issues it never fails that someone points out a tps that’s not perfect? If it triggers the idle circuit when closed and reads over 75% wot it’s not causing any problem.

How is the map sensor connected? Is it wired directly to the ecu harness or through a ecmlink maf cable?

Ecmlink MAF cable. I unplugged the wideband completely, no change, still leans out and dies.

Why is it that when someone’s car is having major issues it never fails that someone points out a tps that’s not perfect? If it triggers the idle circuit when closed and reads over 75% wot it’s not causing any problem.

Because if I'm going to tag Brett I know it'll be mentioned. might as well get it out of the way ahead of time.

It's always good to point out things that can be improved upon even if they aren't important.

Ignore everything @19gsx91 said in his last post, He either missed the part where you are running e85 or he has never tuned for it.

Your ariflowperrev is continually dropping below 0.20 which is preventing the car from going into closed loop. This is due to the incorrect injector settings; incorrect deadtime and global. The PTE 1000cc injectors actually flow 940cc/min which means that your global should be -28.5. Change the deadtime in the fuel tab to 450. Change the InjBatteryAdj in direct access back to stock along with the CoolantTempFuelAdj.

Once you have the injector settings correct, I'll assist in dialing in the SD table for you; all of which which will resolve the idle issues. You'll need to adjust the timing in DA for idle. It's currently set WAY too high for stock cams and will cause high idle.

I changed the tune for you if you just want to load it. one file for DA and one for live-config

Keep in mind that we will need to change the SD table for it to idle and run correctly. I'll need a log while idling with the tune I gave you in order to continue tuning the SD table.

Attachments

• erikTDA.eda
    15 KB · Views: 121
  • erikTlive-config.ecm
    4.9 KB · Views: 118
So wait.. let me get this straight. you tell the guy to ignore everything I just said. then instantly suggest he correct THE SAME THING I SUGGESTED? Cool story bro. You might of been able to take down Durins bane but I'm not really impressed by your attitude.

Both of your below suggestions are vastly incorrect, ergo I didn't suggest the same.

@19gsx91
2. Your global fuel should be -57.8% like was previously mentioned if you are running 1000cc injectors.
4. Please copy and paste your Min octane table into your MAX octane table.. that max octane table..... just no.

You also suggested he lock the car in open loop without looking at the log and seeing that it never goes into closed loop. Even if he were running gasoline, your global suggestion is way off. 37psi base fuel pressure at 940cc/min is -52%. Even if you calculated it at the advertised flow of 1000 it would only be -55%

https://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/baseinjectordata
PTE / Delphi 1000 Modified GM Rochester 17113744 injector. Actual flow: 940cc

450 / ( 940 / 1.49 ) - 1 = -0.286733% or -28%

Last edited:
I changed the tune for you if you just want to load it. one file for DA and one for live-config

Keep in mind that we will need to change the SD table for it to idle and run correctly. I'll need a log while idling with the tune I gave you in order to continue tuning the SD table.

Thanks, I'll give that a try today, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Although, I still don't understand how my specific problem can be a tuning issue. Especially considering the inconsistency of the problem (one day it leans out and dies, the next day it's running rich with no change in tune) and the fact it sprung up out of nowhere leads me to believe it's a hardware or sensor issue, not the tune itself.

Try wiring your map and iat directly. I had a similar issue using a ecmlink maf cable.

Attachments

• 5E0834C4-51C6-4A6E-B0C5-50DD49298FF0.jpeg
    5E0834C4-51C6-4A6E-B0C5-50DD49298FF0.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 141

Loaded your files, still no change, still won't stay running (leans out and dies). Log attached.

Try wiring your map and iat directly. I had a similar issue using a ecmlink maf cable.

I'll do that next. Like I've said, I can't imagine how this can be a tuning issue. It's gotta be hardware, a bad sesnor, or bad wiring, so this is a good next step.

Attachments

• log.2018.05.16-02.elg
    31.7 KB · Views: 120
Your map sensor is reading -16.5 lbs of vacuum when the car is off. This is used for the ecu to calculate afRatioEst. The Ecu thinks you are extremely rich and is leaning out the mixture as a result.

I agree with donnie. Once you have it wired directly see if your map sensor is reading 0 when the car is off. Then we can dial in your SD table.

There's plenty in the tune that needs to be cleaned up, but nothing I see that would cause the issues outlined in the video.

I'd say you've got a fuel issue. I'd start by checking the fuel pump: Just use ECMlink to enable the pump with the car off and see if you hear the pump doing anything strange, like whining louder as it runs, cavitating, etc. I'd also monitor fuel pressure (at the regulator should suffice) and see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

No change in tune, and the car is suddenly is sucking ass...I'd say mechanical issue of some sort, more specifically, fuel related. I think you're chasing your tail dicking wth the tune, swapping cables and all this other shit. Restore the last known good tune config (e.g. reverse whatever you've done tuning wise trying to troubleshoot) and start troubleshooting for a mechanical fuel issue. I'd bet your pump is dying, or you've got a restriction of some sort. I know you cleaned the filter, so make that's the last thing you revisit.

Oh, and the TPS may not matter in this specific scenario, but I've seen it cause strange issues that shouldn't have been caused by a maladjusted TPS. I get what Donnie is saying, and I'm not saying he's wrong...But adjusting the TPS is one of those things that is retarded easy to fix, so I don't understand when people don't just take the 5 minutes to do shit the right way. I even wrote a thread explaining why it matters, since people always seem to think it doesn't for one reason or another: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/adjust-your-tps.509898/

It’s not that I don’t believe it’s best to have everything dialed in. It’s just that Random people always comment “fix your tps” when someone’s car has a windowed block, or other unrelated issue.

I think it makes people not want to post their logs. I’ve seen numerous people get blasted for their wot tps being 97% or some other silly, non impactful number other than 100%.

I'd argue a 97% WOT reading is impactful, but that's just me.

If people don't want their logs picked apart, then I agree they shouldn't post them. The little shit is what separates a good tune from the mediocre. I've heard people say you don't need a pretty SD table, an improperly scaled TPS doesn't matter, and tons of other lazy shit, and that's fine for them. I've seen it matter, so I always call it out and recommend it be fixed when I see it in a log where the user is asking for tuning advice...Windowed block or not.

Back on topic.... his map sensor is -16.5 when the car is off. This is the problem. This means that it's 16.5 lbs off when the car is running. Reading -26.5 lbs when it's only -10. SD operation is using that value to estimate afr. When comparing afratioest and the wideband you can see that the car believes it's running extremely rich and is pulling fuel as a result.

Erik, where are you getting your map source from? I recently had to change my MAP source because the throttle body nipple literally stopped working one day.

Following @donniekak 's suggestion I checked my ECMLink SD cable. I found it was loose (it doesn't "click" into place so it wasn't secure). I zip tied that bi*** together and I went from the problem of leaning out and dieing (the log from post #10) to running rich and incorrectly (the log from post #1).

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

@Gandalf the map sensor is now reading -5 when the car is off (which I think should be correct due to my elevation). So obviously I had a loose connection there.

So now I still have the problem of the car running rich and crappy (log from post #1). So I eliminated the ECMLink cable being the problem and wired SD directly as suggested by @donniekak following this guide http://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/sdsetup . No change, but at least now we've ruled that out.

So now we're back at the problem from post #1, but at least the problem is now CONSISTANT. Progress, right?
:thumb:

perfect, now it's just tune related. You are going to be rich because we corrected your deadtime and added 4% global fuel when we corrected that as well. reset your fuel trims under the ECU tab at the top and load the SD table from the config below. Idle for 10 minutes and post up a log. You also need to adjust your altitude when the car is off so we can get an accurate map reading. double click on your map sensor in the live datalog and adjust it on the top right. You should be able to get your map sensor reading 0 instead of -5.

I am also including a modified SD table. You had the cells surrounding idle richened up quite a bit while the cells under load were still default. Once we get the injectors dialed in then we can start tuning WOT. Keep in mind that we may need to tweak the SD table to get you idling at 14.7 with close to 0 long term fuel trim. This is just a starting point.

Here is the stock SD table for reference.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/images/forums/sddata/sdtable.png

Attachments

• erik-SD-table.ecm
    4.9 KB · Views: 120
You're running SD. It use a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor. Absolute pressure is determined at sea level & is 101325 Pa at 59ºF (or 15ºC) standard. This is the MAP's "zero" reference. You're at approx. 5830 feet altitude with approx. 81720 Pa, much less than sea level. Doing the math & conversion, with key on, motor off, your MAP sensor should be 5.5in/Hg less than the 29.92 in/Hg you'd see if you were at sea level. I do not agree that you should have zero at your altitude. We "people" like to use offsets when and shift "zero" to 1 atmosphere. All this is easier to visualize if you work in pascal (Pa) or kilo pascal (kPa). Looks like you addressed your problem which was your sensor connection & now you need to fix your tune. Make sure you don't have any boost leaks post throttle plate.

... you do realize that the altitude setting isn't used in the calculation of air or fuel. It's just for visual representation on the live graph of his computer. it's literally just a display preference for the live datalog.

Yes I realize all this is self referencing. Everything involved with tuning is self referencing. But it will make a big difference when working with others & comparing "notes". I look at like music & orchestras. If you're going to be playing with a group of people you better get everyone tuned to the same pitch or it'll sound like a bunch of crap. Erik can hide in a hole or base his calibrations on a common starting point.

you should email thomas at ecmlink and have him update the ecmlink101 initial checks page so your orchestra is in tune, or call him and tell him he is wrong and that he should leave altitude at 0.

https://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/ecmlink101initialchecks

Once BoostEst is in the graph legend, double click it or right click on it and select BoostEst → BoostEst preferences. Enter your engine displacement (2.0L is the normal, stock value for our DSM motors) and your altitude then hit OK.

perfect, now it's just tune related. You are going to be rich because we corrected your deadtime and added 4% global fuel when we corrected that as well. reset your fuel trims under the ECU tab at the top and load the SD table from the config below. Idle for 10 minutes and post up a log. You also need to adjust your altitude when the car is off so we can get an accurate map reading. double click on your map sensor in the live datalog and adjust it on the top right. You should be able to get your map sensor reading 0 instead of -5.

I am also including a modified SD table. You had the cells surrounding idle richened up quite a bit while the cells under load were still default. Once we get the injectors dialed in then we can start tuning WOT. Keep in mind that we may need to tweak the SD table to get you idling at 14.7 with close to 0 long term fuel trim. This is just a starting point.

Here is the stock SD table for reference.
http://www.ecmtuning.com/images/forums/sddata/sdtable.png

Dude, I'll be the first to say I appreciate others giving tuning advice...But I don't have a clue what you're getting at after your 50th post, nor do I think you're steering the OP in the right direction.

How can you make fuel adjustments at idle when the car won't even idle? The answer is, you can't. You don't even know what his BFP is to accurately calculate global fuel, yet you're recommending he tweak it? The MAP has been troubleshooted to death, and certainly doesn't seem to be the issue, nor does this even appear to be tune related. I've never seen a car running fine on a tune, and the next minute the tune is suddenly f***ed. That's pretty unlikely, and personally I've never seen it happen.

Like Donnie said in his earlier post, the base VE table and base fuel settings given by ECMlink should have 99% of cars running well enough to give you a starting point for tuning. Not to mention, nothing in the OP's initial log warrant's all the changes you're proposing at this point in the troubleshooting process. If the OP had a pretty reliable tune prior to this issue, there's no logical reason that would have suddenly changed. I'm sure it can be tweaked and improved, but that's not the current issue at hand.

@ErikTande, you know the drill, if you want solid tuning advice, fill out the template. Again, I'd recommend you restore your last known good tune and attempt troubleshooting a mechanical fuel issue per my previous post. Those are easy checks, and would rule out a lot of possible issues. Those checks also make sense (IMO), since hardware and components suddenly fail, and tunes do not.

I couldn't get that working so I ordered a real OmniPower 4 Bar Sensor, but that has the same issue, it's rich at idle and goes lean when gas is pressed).

Because of what you said I would check the FPR. Something like a torn diaphragm or leaks on the vacuum line hooked to it before spending time on other things. Make sure it functioning & following the 1:1 pressure ratio you should see relative to your MAP pressure. (eg: fuel pressure should be MAP pressure plus base fuel pressure).

Last edited:
@GST with PSI
Perhaps you are under the impression that I'm new the the DSM world since the account I'm using has a small amount of posts. Perhaps you missed the part where he found the maf plug wasn't seating all the way, wiring directly resolved the map sensor issue and no longer reads extremely negative as I pointed out. Maybe you also missed that the car doesn't die any more as a result and that the issue he is facing now is rich at idle and lean under throttle. Base fuel pressure in his initial tune is 37psi, fyi. He calculated his original global fuel using the flow rate of 1000cc which is where his original -32.4% value came from. Per the manufacturers of his ECU, that's wrong.

https://www.ecmtuning.com/wiki/baseinjectordata
PTE / Delphi 1000 Modified GM Rochester 17113744 injector. Actual flow: 940cc

Maybe you also missed where I suggest that he put the area surrounding idle back to the values donnie also suggested, the values from the base VE table.

'Like Donnie said in his earlier post, the base VE table and base fuel settings given by ECMlink should have 99% of cars running well enough to give you a starting point for tuning."

"nothing in the OP's initial log warrant's all the changes you're proposing at this point in the troubleshooting process.If"
I'm not even sure what to say on this one... did you even look at the log?

His original log only barely goes into closed loop at the end of the log before it is stopped. In his original SD table we can see that the area around idle is raised from the default SD table from 56 to 73. The AFRatioEst thinks the car is running at 13.8 in the example below. The long term fuel trim is adding 6.1% fuel. Meanwhile the wideband is reading 12.7... super rich. dropping the SD cells back down to 56 and correcting his global fuel/ deadtime will get his AFRatioEst much closer to his actual wideband reading. He is running lean under load because he had an extra 4% of fuel taken out globally but had not richened up the load area of the SD table to compensate.

In Short, add global fuel to spec outlined by ecmtuning (not lean under load any more). remove fuel surrounding idle from the SD table (not rich at idle any more). reset fuel trims. intended outcome is running the base SD table, which is exactly where he needs to start tuning from....

So correct me if I'm wrong @ErikTande if I miss interpreted your last post saying that we are back to the original issue where it does idle, but idles rich and goes lean under boost.

I'd be willing to say this is issue was that his maf cable was barely making connection intermittently on top of his tune issues. I don't think he has a fuel pump issue at all. Now we just need to get the car tuned correctly. If you want to direct him through troubleshooting the fuel pump, by all means go for it. I'm up for constructive criticism, but you seem to have not read several of the last posts prior to commenting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back