1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

No matter what I do, my oil pan is always leaking!

Posted by KianaLynn, Feb 21, 2019

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    Just pokin fun my friend! Glad to have your advice, it doesn't matter where it comes from!:thumb:
    M

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

417  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

414  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 590  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  2. ricktb

ricktb Proven Member

Joined May 20, 2007
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Yes both surfaces must be flat (a bent oilpan replaced), and clean(scrape off old gasket), and then no gasket only rtv 1/4" bead on the oilpan side with a loop around each bolt hole, then using studs in 2 places as a guide to place the oil pan perfectly in place. Finger tight the bolts for 24 hours, then torque the next day. If the holes are stripped they may need to be retapped or heli-coiled

497  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. LindsayVR4

LindsayVR4 Probationary Member

Joined Jul 10, 2018
    Sydney, Australia
    It sounds like you’re doing everything right on the sump itself tbh. I think there’s a leak from further up, might even be cam seals installed wrong, or oil pump bolts or something. Doesn’t seem like the sump is the issue unless it’s cracked and you’ve put a new one in. Could be a hairline crack in the lower section of the block, but unlikely. Testing it with a die sounds like a good move at this point.

4. lelt2jv

lelt2jv Probationary Member

Joined Mar 1, 2019
    Agana Heights, Asia
    Everything everyone else said - but I did an actual circle of sealant around the bolt holes for good measure

I hate leaks

168  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. KianaLynn

KianaLynn Probationary Member

Joined Nov 2, 2016
    Helena, Montana
    yes its a 4g63

Street Build 627  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  6. KianaLynn

KianaLynn Probationary Member

Joined Nov 2, 2016
    Helena, Montana
    I did a little bit of inspection today because my dsm has been bellowing white smoke for the last couple of weeks (its been confirmed its a bad pcv valve) but my question is: could a plugged pcv valve cause enough pressure to push oil out of the pan?

Street Build 627  0

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    manual · 1G DSM
  7. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    you want to always have a slightly negative pressure in the crankcase. any positive pressure will try and equalize with atmospheric pressure. This will cause flow from the region of high pressure toward the lower pressure region (aka wind).

Basically,
    - a vacuum in crankcase (inward flow) will help keep seals and gaskets from leaking​

- pressure in the crankcase (outward flow) will increase the chances gaskets/seals leaking and can also cause the turbo seals to leak because the turbo oil return to not flow properly.​

8. SamuelValentine

SamuelValentine Probationary Member

Joined Apr 17, 2019
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    If it’s always leaking make sure it’s not bent anywhere around the bolts or the part of the pan that touches the engine at all, but if it has been bent I’d suggest using a cork gasket installation since they tend to be thicker. I have a YouTube video on how to prep the gasket so it won’t pinch and will make replacement a breeze!

9. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Lot of posts I'm not gonna read, but did anyone mention the bolt in the oil pump for the balancer shaft tensioner. Leaks if you don't silicone that one. Deleted or not.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  10. o0GuitarKid0o

o0GuitarKid0o Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    This guy right here your talking about correct? I think it was mentioned but heres a visual of mine . Never anything wrong with to much info !
    20190425_143047.jpg

Street Build 599  7

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
  11. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    Yep that one there. I dunno why it leaks, the bolts in a blind hole, and gasket around it, but it does.

Showcar Build 5K  1

1991 Eagle Talon N/T
    9.805 @ 144.00 · 1G DSM
  12. fredom dsm

fredom dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 31, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    I’ve been working on this since Saturdayas well, im leting the oil drain until I see no more, (it will probably take a whole week) I was cleaning my bolts today and I got to thinking, what if you use studs?? Would this overkill since the original bolts don’t see any stress? I just thought about that. Im tired of this danm leak my self.

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

492  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  13. o0GuitarKid0o

o0GuitarKid0o Proven Member

Joined Dec 12, 2013
    Winnipeg ,MB, MB, Canada
    Seems like overkill imo, a couple studs to help align it wouldn't hurt but I feel like it would be harder to line up with all the bolts turned into studs.

Dont forget about the smaller bolt under the timing belt .

Maybe take a straight edge to the flange and see how big a feeler gauge you can get between the flange and straight edge .

Might be good to get some dye and a uv light to see where its coming from.

Street Build 599  7

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    fwd · automatic · 1G DSM
    fredom dsm likes this.