The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Puzzle what is this in my oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad0615

Proven Member
Dec 16, 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Can anyone tell me what this metal is belonging to?
I dropped my oil pan to look for stuff like this but I'm confused as to what it is?
The two top right pieces fit together and make a tight radius. Too tight to be a main or rod bearing. And that squiggly ring is something I haven't seen either.
My guess is mi turbo took a shit in my oil pan?
http://tinypic.com/r/2ll0imq/8

Yep, look like turbo internals to me. Seems as though they failed and made their way down the oil drain at some point.

Here's a better picture for you too see the puzzle. Use my thumb nail as reference the radius on the top left piece that can be put together seems much smaller than any rod or main bearing. Almost looks like something that could belong to the valve train. So do you think it's the turbo?
http://tinypic.com/r/2ll0imq/8

Yes, positive theyre from a turbo. Most likely one took a shit on a previous owner and they replaced it with the one thats on the car now. Check this out, theres more of situations like yours. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/471620-oil-pan-metal-pieces.html

Dude you're awesome. I'm gunna keep it parked for now until I can find another turbo. If it is broken I don't want that oil transporting metal up in my block or head.
I guess the 16g upgrade is coming sooner then I had planned.

T25 parts. Found some of the same in the pan on my bone-stock '97 GSX when I tore it down to remove the balance shafts...and it only has 68,000 on it. Shows just how shitty the T25 really is if it can't even last 68K at stock boost levels.

Dude you're awesome. I'm gunna keep it parked for now until I can find another turbo. If it is broken I don't want that oil transporting metal up in my block or head.
I guess the 16g upgrade is coming sooner then I had planned.

If its not completely shot you can always have JusMX141 rebuild it, hes insanely good...

EDIT: ROFL didnt even see him post above me....

Maybe yours isnt even bad.. Could have happened years ago and another turbo was slapped on. I guess you'll have to check it yourself to be sure.

I will check. Either way I'm gunna strain my used oil and look at what's in there.
It still boost and there's expect shaft play in and out but not up and down on the walls. Found some oil when I took the intake off too.

T25 parts. Found some of the same in the pan on my bone-stock '97 GSX when I tore it down to remove the balance shafts...and it only has 68,000 on it. Shows just how shitty the T25 really is if it can't even last 68K at stock boost levels.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably take a Better look at it later on in the week.
I have to removed 3 broken exhaust studs from the head. I'll end up replacing them with stainless and while I'm at it I'll tear down the turbo and have a look at what I can see.

Is there any chance of this turbo polluting my oil with water from the failure?

I agree looks like turbo bits to me. If u can see the big pieces imagine where the tiny pieces are that got sucked into the oil pickup!!!! Through cleaning!!!

I agree looks like turbo bits to me. If u can see the big pieces imagine where the tiny pieces are that got sucked into the oil pickup!!!! Through cleaning!!!
The oil pickup did it's job by catching all of the bigger pieces. While I had the valve cover off and the oil pan dropped I did pour a good quart of clean oil over the cams rockers springs and let it wash off into a catch pan. Like I said I will probably drain the oil and drop the pan when I swap turbo's. For now, it's going to sit until I get the parts together. Stop by my build thread later today to see the rest of the updates.
Thanks for the input guys. This thread can be closed whenever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back