The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

no crank no click

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdii

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
ON, ON_Canada
Last night my car wouldn't start. When I try to start the car nothing happens. No crank no clicking sound. Everything works like radio, heater, lights but the car doesn't wonna start. I tested the battary and it works (4 months old). What might be the problem? Maybe the starter? Really need some help asap... thanks

99 nt auto rs

I have the python 881xp 2 way pager alarm. I disconnected the battery but that did work. thanks!

Your alarm probably has some type of starter kill. do you have a valet button somewhere under the dash or in the kick panel? If so then deavtivate the alarm by puttin your key in the ON position then HOLD that valet button down till the red light in the car stays ON solid.

Now try to start the car. If it still doesn't start then i would check the starter and its connection. check the starter relay and fuse also.

Everybody says the same thing...Fuse,relay, one more thing to check would be if the starter is getting powe?,and if the solonoid is workin? Sounds likes your not hearing the solonoid click. But as was said, an aftermarket alarm system, might be the case as well. Good luck...

check the fuses and the wires that run to the starter....and had you been working on your car at all before it happen???

I took out the starter and had it tested and passed. I havent worked on the car lately. I tried the valet button and that didnt work. Im goin to check the fuses one more time.

thank you for all the suggestions so far

The fuses all looks good. Where is the starter relay located? Is it on the driver side near the battery? Also how hard is it to change the ignition switch and where is that located?

thank you

My car did this exact thing a couple times. It ended up being the ground that clipped onto the top of the starter was making intermittent contact. Check that, just try to push it farther on the terminal and try to start it again. If that doesn't help any then like everyone else has said, check the fuses and the solenoid.

Actually I do hear one click sound when trying to start the car under where I change my gears...

I tried the valet button and that didnt work.

Oh, look at this. Now a "valet button" mysteriously appears. So, there's an aftermarket alarm system that you'd not mentioned?
Did you install it? Do you know who did? Because it and its wiring (or, programming, depending on what system and other details) is now the prime suspect.

Oh, look at this. Now a "valet button" mysteriously appears. So, there's an aftermarket alarm system that you'd not mentioned?
Did you install it? Do you know who did? Because it and its wiring (or, programming, depending on what system and other details) is now the prime suspect.

Yeah he said he has a python alarm in the 3rd post. I told him to put it in Valet mode to disable the starter kill, but he claims he tried that and it didnt work.

The only other thing he could try is to remove the starter kill relay and reconnect the starter wire.

LOL huh?

Anyway its really frustrating and I really need this car to work before the snow starts. So last night I went through everything once again and I got it finally started. Again I ran a wire from the smaller input on the starter straight to the positive side of the battery and it started right up. Now what would be the reason why this is happening? Does it have to do anything with a relay? Where is the relay located?

Thank you for all the help!

I didnt read everything in this thread. But I still think its your alarm. It sounds like your having the same problem I'm having. Its the Alarm. I don't hear a clicking or grinding noise either. Sometimes i hear a noise behind the radio though.
Does it start up if you press the auto start on your alarm button?

Okay there is like a 90% chance it has to do with the alarm.

Take off the lower dash panel and find the wire harness that runs down the steering colum. This is called the IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS. It will have some fat 10 gauge wires in it. Then you will also see smaller wires from the alarm running to wire harness. Find the BLACK and RED 10 gauge wire. This is the starter wire. Its going to be CUT in half with each side going into a starter KILL relay. Cut that relay off and reconnect the BLACK and RED wire so that it is ONE continuous wire.

NOW try to start the car.

The alarm tries 3 times before it gives up then I would have to try to start it up again. When I got the car started I actually try using the auto start on the remote. So I turned on the auto start then connected the wire quickly to the starter then to the battery and it started right up. Ill try tomorrow what you said Jeff99GS

thank you

What are these things under the dash?

I found if I shake one of them i can get it to start.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i posted earlier in this thread. You have the same problem I had, Found out my ignition switch was bad. I replaced the whole thing switch,cylinder and wires. Maybe your cylinder or switch is bad. They wear out over time.

i posted earlier in this thread. You have the same problem I had, Found out my ignition switch was bad. I replaced the whole thing switch,cylinder and wires. Maybe your cylinder or switch is bad. They wear out over time.

Do you have the part numbers and how much did you end up spending?

Thanks!

Do you have the part numbers and how much did you end up spending?

Thanks!

I paid 70 bucks including shipping. Its used, I couldnt find a place that sold it new. I bought it from dsmgraveyard I Think, I will make sure tomorrow. The box is outside in my car. Its snowing here and my car is parked down the street.
Anyway I just told them I needed an ignition lock assembly with the brackets switches, wires and a new key.

I'm finding that ever since the weather is warming up here I'm not having any issues but when it's colder it's giving me problems. Are these cars equipped with some sort of sensor for the ignition or sensor on the alarm?

99n/t

Last edited by a moderator:
It's summer right now and 99nt winter car is parked up. I start it up once a week without any problems (because its warmer). I noticed theres a loud buzzing sound coming from the coil pack. Can this cause starting problems in the winter and is this sound normal (I didn't notice this before)?

Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back