The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

No boost Pull !!! HELP!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boost69

10+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2010
bristol, Pennsylvania
hey guys, i have a 95 tsi smal16g with supporting mods. well ive been having this problem, the boost gauge is reading the full 19psi that i have it set for, but my car doesnt pull, and it blows off very weird, i just replaced the exhaust manifold gasket that was leaking, i thought that was my problem, it helped but didnt fix it, the car runs great otherwise, its has me stumped :confused:, the turbo has no shaft play and blows no smoke, i am almost positive there is no boost leaks, its just very weird i barley hear the turbo spool, and it barley blows off , it still spools slowly, and No pull :cry:
PLEASE HELP!!!!

sounds like the turbo took a dump bro. time for an upgrade!
Is that really what it sounds like?

OP, as with any problem, cross off the easy things first. Have you performed a complete boost leak test? Can you make a log for us?
It could be that you're knocking like crazy and you're getting pulled timing.

Did this just start happening, or has this problem always existed? Does the car perform at lower boost settings?

The only thing that makes me think that it might not be a timing issue is that you say you are experiencing slow spool. Slow spool is not often associated with retarded timing. I know that when I'm pulling timing, for one reason or another, my little snail gets real excitable.

i did a visual boost leak test, and my boost gauge is hooked up on the intake, and has been very accurate, and wouldnt that be reading the boost coming into the motor ?? the car runs fine , so i dont think its pulling timing, i am completely stumped i replaced the manifold gasket today figuring that was the reason for slow spool , but it isnt

get a blt tester and test it i almost guarantee there's a leak somewhere, i check my system every oil change.

but isnt the boost gauge reading the boost going into the motor if its hooked up of the intake? so then it wouldnt be leaking anywhere then correct?

if injector seals were beat wouldnt it spit gas?? and if someone can shed some light on where my boost gauge is hooked up and if it reads the boost going into the engine??

if injector seals were beat wouldnt it spit gas?? and if someone can shed some light on where my boost gauge is hooked up and if it reads the boost going into the engine??

Its likely hooked up to one of the FPR lines going into your intake manifold which is before the stuff I mentioned but after everything from TB down.

it is hooked up off of the intake manifold and the fpr, so that doesnt read boost going into engine then?? can you please be a little more clear on where it reads?,so i can get an idea of where i possible leak might be?

if its hooked up at the fpr and there's no leaks before that it is going to read full boost, but say your injector seals are leaking witch is after your fpr lines its going to read boost perfectly normal with no miss reads because its loosing pressure after it reads it.

the injector seals effect the boost pressure? and the fpr and intake manifold is the last place boost is after it spools at the turbo, goes through the intercooler, then into the intake manifold so its the last place boost can be before being used, sorry for all the questions i am just very confused

ok air comes throught your filter through the turbo to the intercooler then goes threw throttle body to the intake manifold where various hoses run off to things such as your fpr, then the air goes into the cylinders where its combusted. now for the injector seals leaking they seal the air in the cylinders from escaping because there is holes going into each cylinder that the injector goes in.

would that make the car not blow off correctly? and i was reading how to change them and it was saying unplug the fuel pump and such, but cant i just pull the fuel rail off and replace them ?

well that is the only place it can be leaking, would that effect the bov blowing off? and can i just pull the fuel rail up to replace them?

well yeah if there is a boost leak somewhere than the manifold pressure isn't right to cause the bov to open up.

oh sry and yes you do pull the fuel rail off pull out the injectors and they usually sit in a little hole in the head pull them out carefully with a pick and then replace them with new ones by just pressing them in with your finger. (I like to put a little oil on all rubber seals)

well thats the only place there can be a boost leak and it all seems like thats it all symptoms are leading to the lower injector seals since the boost gauge is reading the correct boost coming into the intake manifold, so i will just replace them and hope thats the problem if its not the problem , it didnt hurt by replacing them

Well it doesn't and i don't know how you have ran all of your hard piping but check and tighten all of the links first if a boost leak is the culprit so really just test it first. It sounds like a boost leak to me but it cant hurt to check before You start taking stuff apart because when you put the injectors back in you have to slowly and evenly bring the injectors back in the head and its alot more of a pain getting the torque even than it is to check all of your connections in the hard piping ya know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back