1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Newbie needs engine ID info

Posted by Ricki, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:10 PM

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. Ricki

Ricki Probationary Member

Joined Jun 19, 2020
    Paramount, California
    I have a 1999 GST Eclipse that had an engine swap with a 199-. I know for sure it was a first gen engine swap. How would I know what year engine it is and what is the major differences in 1st gen engines (turbo) . Sorry if this sounds way to vague; I love my car but I am a super newbie

2. JeffGS-T97

JeffGS-T97 Proven Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Greenbo, Alabama
    1st gen has a six bolt main, the throttle body ID is a bit bigger and the coolant lines going to it are positioned at different agles. The wire harness on a 90 & 91 have different wire harnesses than 92-94 but not by much a few wires are reversed on some of the connectors. 1st gens have less hp, but the 1g shell was lighter. The 6 bolt main has a smaller chance of crank walk than the 2g 7bolt. In a nutshell the 1g motor is more durable. I got my throttle body off a 1g and had it bored along with a ported polished intake manifold i also did a 6bolt main swap from a 1g too. Heres some more stuff to help you determinehttps://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/09/30/differences-1g-2g-dsm/

https://my.prostreetonline.com/2014/09/30/differences-1g-2g-dsm/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:45 AM

Street Build 1K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    7 bolt engines were the normal engine from mid-'92 all the way to '99. The best way to tell, is look at the VIN stamp on the block. It should be stamp or engraved on the transmission side of the block, on the top left corner. Take a picture of it so this is easier for you. Refer to the following chart from DSM VFAQ. That'll tell you what model and year it came from.

DSM VIN Decoder.jpg

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

1K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  4. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    They do not have a 6 bolt main. Also not all 1g are 6 bolt (referring to number of flywheel bolts).

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    TK's9d2TSi likes this.
  5. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
  6. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio