The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G New timing belt disintegrating after fewer than 18000 km - WHY?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrileger

Proven Member
Jun 26, 2016
Orillia, ON_Canada
After installing a brand new timing belt and putting on about 18000km, i noticed the timing belt started making rhythmic 'swooshing' sounds as if the belt was flapping and rubbing against 'something' so i took the timing belt cover off to examine the belt and instantly noticed irregular shallow marks on the belt:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

the first thing i thought of wearing belt in such a way were bolts on the oil pan flange not being in their proper place, i.e.one or two bolts were too long and making contact with the belt. no such luck. i removed the two bolts right underneath the pulley and nothing changed. the swooshing sound continued.

continuing with my investigation, i noticed that some of the teeth on the timing belt, the opposite side of where the belt made contact with 'something', were partially broken off and some of them were in the process of breaking off; however, none of the teeth broke off completely... and what i meant by 'partially' is that only about 1/2 of the tooth was broken off:

upon further investigation, i wondered if perhaps i put on the wrong timing belt cover as i wondered why is there a gap of about 1/2" between the oil pan flange and the plastic cover itself:

this is a 1992 6-bolt 4g63 and the cover part number is MD141459 S / MD141461 B:

Any thoughts as to what could have possibly caused this damage to the timing belt after only 18000 km?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back