The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A timing belt cover rubbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runthrough

Probationary Member
Feb 11, 2012
Reading, Pennsylvania
Ok i know this has been discussed but i didn't see anyone actually post how they stopped it or fixed it. My 2g 420a timing belt cover rubs and if i get out of the car and push on it it stops. but when it cools down and i start it again it comes back. Is there anything i can to stop the noise it drives me nuts. I know i shouldn't keep the cover off. The timing belt has less then 5k miles on it but i haven't driven the car for a long time. I checked all the bolts there tight just seems like the cover has too much play.

I'm having this same exact issue...I don't have the space to take it all apart and figure it out... I just have a peice of foam pushing against the timing belt cover so the cover doesn't rub on the belt.

Has the OP or anyone figured out a solid solution or anything for this?

I'm having this same exact issue...I don't have the space to take it all apart and figure it out... I just have a peice of foam pushing against the timing belt cover so the cover doesn't rub on the belt.

Has the OP or anyone figured out a solid solution or anything for this?

Its probably warped beyond repair. You would probably have to just break down a buy a new one. Shoving something in there to remedy this problem might cause a disaster if that piece comes loose and falls in the timing belt.

Its probably warped beyond repair. You would probably have to just break down a buy a new one. Shoving something in there to remedy this problem might cause a disaster if that piece comes loose and falls in the timing belt.

The one I have installed now is a new timing belt cover, so not sure why its rubbing.

A new cover shouldn't rub. Are all the bolts in it? Vibrations can cause them to back out and you wouldn't even know it. My cover was missing 3 when I swapped out my OEM motor for the rebuild. I know clearances are tight, when was the last time you had a timing belt done? Where is it rubbing specifically?

I cut mine above the motor mount and it sets in place just fine and my motor vibrates alot. I only had to because of the aftermarket gears would rub around the inspection cover. You can try some washers on the inspection cover bolt and see if that brings it out.

I cut mine above the motor mount and it sets in place just fine and my motor vibrates alot. I only had to because of the aftermarket gears would rub around the inspection cover. You can try some washers on the inspection cover bolt and see if that brings it out.

hmm good idea about the washers... I actually need to push the cover towards the engine for it to stop rubbing, not the other way around. but that washer trick might actually work!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back