The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New alternator, still overcharging.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpha

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2013
St. Augustine, Florida
So I noticed my volt gauge was reading 19 volts, the battery and break light also came one. Shortly after, i started overheating, realized the fans were not turning on unless the A/C was on.

Tested with my multimeter, was charging a little over 18v.

So i replaced the alternator, tuned it on and same thing minus the battery and brake light.

I read the voltage regulator could be bad, i thought the voltage reg was inside the alternator?

Thanks

How old is your battery? Are the fluids topped off in it?

I suggest getting the battery tested.

Battery is only a few months old, It is leaking a little bit, however i was told it was just venting. There is some residue coming out of the caps.

It is sitting at 12.9 volts with the car off.

i just checked the fluid and it is full.

If you bought a Dura-Crap alt, from AutoZone then thats your problem, go to NAPA and buy a quality nice one (hundred bucks more but WELL worth it)

The DuraLast ones are all re-man'd in Mexico from old crappy broken units. Juan and Julio cant build car parts. DUH

If you bought a Dura-Crap alt, from AutoZone then thats your problem, go to NAPA and buy a quality nice one (hundred bucks more but WELL worth it)

The DuraLast ones are all re-man'd in Mexico from old crappy broken units. Juan and Julio cant build car parts. DUH

ROFL yea i agree, however i did get the alternator from napa and it was $140:cry::cry:. If i have to take it off again i am gonna cry, i have to pull my intercooler pipes and radiator just to get to it...

I hope there is a simple solution.

Actually measure with a VOM at the positive battery terminal to ground with the car running to see the actual charging voltage (in case the gauge has a problem).

The regulator is inside the alternator.

The fan is a different problem all together, and may be contributing in some way (don't have a suggestion how at this point). The ECU is in the charging circuit in a 2g so you may have to look elsewhere for answers.

If you are overcharging, that will make the battery vent even more because it is getting too hot.

If you get a remanufactured alternator there's a 50/50 chance it's bad out of the box or goes bad quickly.

It was a new one, but i wouldn't be surprised if it was bad too, but overcharging is not typically what happens when an alternator goes out, at least in my experiences.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back