The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

need help with vacuum please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shyrox

Probationary Member
Sep 24, 2012
southeast, California
i seriously need help you guys :(. hello im 17 and i got my first car that my dad bought me. i really love DSM but i dont know much about my car. a few weeks ago i was on my way to the beach and my car just turns off on the way over there, So i had to tow it home. the car was parked for like a week or so and i finally fixed the problem of it not wanting to start, it was the crank sensor. now that i got it fixed my cars my gauge is saying it getting -15 on vacuum and is make the car reave really weird. so i made this video for you guys to help me please and thank you i love my DSM i dont want my dad to get rid of it :sosad:

please watch hope someone can help, btw its my first post sorry if i did any mistakes
2g eclipse vacuum at -15 - YouTube

okay ill try that just im a newbie so i would like to know what a BLT is, please and thank you

It is possible that the timing belt wasn't set properly when the crank sensor was replaced. I would start by checking the timing marks.

Do you have cams installed? If not, check the plug to the MAF sensor. Make sure it's clean, dry, and fully connected.

What is your CEL for? The next step would be to read the code and clear it.

BLT= Boost Leak Test.

okay ill check the timing belt, and also WES i dont know what you mean by CEL. and no i dont have cams just started doing that after the crank sensor failed and changed that. and yah cause i dont like that noise its doing. and i took it to a mechanic and he said he couldnt do anything about that and my only chances were to take it to like a mitsubishi dealer.

CEL= Check Engine Light. Any auto parts store will lend you their code reader for free (need valid drivers license). Check the codes, write them down, and be sure to clear them. If it comes back on and reports the same problem, you know it's not a fluke and to start looking in that area.

But if you don't have cams the sound is definitely a sign of the problem. Like Bryan said, check all of your timing marks along with the MAF sensor plug. Both will cause the car to sound like that, but based upon the low vacuum, it's very possible the timing is slightly off.

Sorry for just throwing terms at you, I'm not mean like that. Now that I can watch the vid. Your low vac could be from the idle being screwey. Id doubt the low vac is the root problem. I've had -10 and less since I've had my car. Sounds exactly like you have cams though, I personally like the sound ROFL getting like 272 cams will make your car sound like that because there is overlap at idle, if you're doing that on stock cams, seems like you have some timing issues.

Okay ill go to autozone tmw and get one out to check what the scaner reads thanks WES. And undefined i like the noise to but the problem is it wasnt making that noise when i bought it, sadly. Well hopefully i can fix this soon before i get anyother problems. Ill check everything that you guys mentioned tmw since its to late haha.

When did you get this car? This issue isn't large enough to get rid of the car. If you don't know much about cars. Spend a day or two just reading everything and anything you can about these awesome machines. I've only had mine for a few months and I've become a beginner mechanic. You will most likely have to make a decent amount of repairs for the lifetime of the car. Good luck finding mechanics too. My mechanic that worked on my GM cars now refuses to help me out because he just doesn't like working on DSMs.

Sounds exactly like you have cams though, I personally like the sound ROFL getting like 272 cams will make your car sound like that because there is overlap at idle, if you're doing that on stock cams, seems like you have some timing issues.

first thing I thought, you might as well pop the valve cover off and check. If his timing was off he wouldn't be able to drive it, what is it 1/2 tooth you might be ok and maybe 1 tooth. Anymore your screwed.

"i love my DSM i dont want my dad to get rid of it" is the title in your dads name? I think the fine print to owning a DSM is becoming your own mechanic =/

first thing I thought, you might as well pop the valve cover off and check. If his timing was off he wouldn't be able to drive it, what is it 1/2 tooth you might be ok and maybe 1 tooth. Anymore your screwed.

The car didn't make that noise until the crank sensor was replaced, which requires the timing belt to be removed. I doubt whoever did the timing job took the liberty of installing cams, they likely botched the job instead. The car won't run well being a tooth or so off, but it will certainly run. Same with the MAF issue. It will definitely run, but it won't be winning races.

Yah i know i need to start learning to become my own mechanic beacuse other mechanics arent willing to check these cars. I know some place where they mess around this turbo cars and if i cant fix it on my own ill take it there. The cars under my dads name but he never drives it cause only i do, drive it to school everyday. Hopefully i find out the problem today. And i got the car about 1 month 1/2 ago. And i think i need to buy the boost control since im only getting 8psi :/

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back