The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Mysterious Overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Project97GST

Proven Member
May 24, 2017
Pekin, Illinois
So after driving her for three days after a motor swap and all, it is "overheating" or at least thats what it says.
Yesterday driving home I look down to find my gauge maxed out on the hot and I panic. Shut the car off and coast to the side of a freeway. I pop the hood and I have coolant in the overflow not boiling. I have full oil with a oil cooler. And my fans are working- well, at least one is. So, thermostat? Nope I just changed it and drove around the block about 6 times and bam! She starts climbing after sitting at operating temp for about 1.5 times around the block. What's going on here!? Should I even trust this gauge? The sensor? Help!

I always eliminate the easy stuff first. You already checked the thermostat, check the radiator cap make sure the spring can be moved by hand. Make sure the reservoir has the appropriate amount of coolant. Then while the car is cool take off the cap turn the motor on and make sure you see the coolant moving in the radiator. Also check to see if any exhaust fumes are coming out of the radiator. I would also get the other fan working first also to eliminate that as a possibility.

Where did you the motor from? Is there excessive pressure on your radiator hoses? Hopefully the head gasket is not leaking but that is also a possibility. Even without any coolant in the oil there could be exhaust gasses seeping into the coolant passages at the headgasket. Theres kits on ebay or at most auto parts stores you can buy to test if you suspect this is the case.

Hope this helps, Good luck!

Overheating could be any number of things a partially clogged radiator or a fan not working as hard as it should bad water pump the worst case would deff be a head gasket there are many ways this can happen u can get oil in coolant or coolant in oil or air in either the sell carbon strips u can dip in ur coolant and it will tell u if any exhaust has been going into the coolant most auto part stores have them and they are super easy to use without having to buy the equipment to pressure test the cooling system

Thank you guys so much for coming to my aid but the problem has been found. Thank God. Turns out while driving (aka I couldn't tell) the heater core hose was leaking and it nearly emptied me out. So I tightened, filled her and let it run with no cap to burp it and fill it and now she runs like a champ. I owe my cars life simply to my oil cooler. I HIGHLY recommend oil coolers. You never know. And I actually have never heard of those carbon strips. Very interested.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back