The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Overheating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

5+ Year Contributor
Nov 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Got a couple things to ask. One is my oil pressure gauge isn't working. The dummy light works because I used it to prime my engine on oil. I see only one sensor on the oil filter housing that has a connector on it. Next is I'm trying to bleed my coolant, I'm using a no spill funnel and when I'm running the car it immediately starts heading to H. But I see the coolant and it's not over heating. I see 3 sensors on the neck. The AC one, the one with 2 prongs and they seem to be falling off, and a single prong. They're plugged in besides the AC one. Anyone have anything on the overheating gauge? I'm thinking that maybe the thermostat is stuck but not sure.

1g or 2g? The car uses two different sensors for the coolant. There is one sensor for the ECU and one for the gauge. The one for the gauge could be bad. Now when the car over heats does it get hot enough to turn the CEL light on? If you think your thermostat is stuck closed then I would just replace it. Its cheap and good thing to try if you believe you have no air in the coolant system.

There should be two connectors on your oil filter housing (OFH). It sounds like your oil sender needs to be connected and that's at the back of the OFH.

It's a 1G, but the thing is it's not over heating. The car was pegged at H and the water and hoses weren't even warm to the touch. It just started climbing fast as soon as it started. And I'll check for the other sensor tomorrow, I know I have one of the sensors which is probably the dummy light which is pointed to the front. And on the back you mean like towards the passenger wheel or towards the firewall?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
page-9
I actually see the sensor you're talking about on this picture. I don't have or at least don't see the wire that goes to it so I probably don't have the plug for it either.

It should be there now, but I see the oil pressure sensor and the weird connector it has but I don't have the plug on my harness.

It goes the same route as the oil dummy light. Somebody probably just cut it off somewhere along the harness. Just go looking for it and I'm sure you'll find it. Add some wire and connect it back to the sending unit.

I'm still having problems with over heating. I know the radiator isn't clogged and I remove the thermostat there's no leaks. But it says it's overheating still after not even 5 minutes of running. Still doesn't look like it's boiling but the car now dies idling and now won't crank.

Why haven’t you replaced or tested the CTS (coolant temp. Sensor) and/or replaced the sensor for the dash cluster temp. display if the car is still overheating?

When you say immediately goes to hot on the gauge, do you mean as soon as you start it? Or just after a few moments it gets hot before it should regularly?

If there isnt enough coolant or any for that matter, the block can get hot withouth there being enough coolant to go through the hoses to heat them up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back