The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

My welding jobs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your work looks fairly good, about par with my own from those pics. Nad i wasn't referring to you ingeneral but to everyone who's hating on this guy. We all started somewhere and all had shitty welds at one point.

I agree and even said that that is only a 20 dollar weld and i've seen worse for the same 20 bucks.. you backed yours up and i commend you. I"m waiting on everyone else .... it's easy for things to sound too "dick-ish" on the net and i try and explain myself clearly but some people post what they may not intend to sound harsh but in words with no emotion it's hard to determine asshole from some one just ofering an opinion..

Yea those beads were ok. I did that in 5 mins at the end of the day. When i take my time they come out even better but whatever. When i stop being lazy and gather up some pipe to make a "How to make a tubular manifold" thread i will take my time and you will see what i mean by being a perfectionist.OMG

Yea those beads were ok. I did that in 5 mins at the end of the day. When i take my time they come out even better but whatever. When i stop being lazy and gather up some pipe to make a "How to make a tubular manifold" thread i will take my time and you will see what i mean by being a perfectionist.OMG

How long have you been welding, just curious?

I've been welding for 9 years

Exactly... This was the original posters first job, think back to your first welding job and how crappy it looked.. So why be such an ass to this guy?:notgood:

If your doing another flange to pipe. When you go to weld it in a vice and position it the same way it would be in the car. Turn up your heat a little bit start at the top and weld it down ward while keeping your hand steady and weaving the bead. Like glen said keep the heat on the flange and just lap it to the pipe the out come will be alot cleaner looking.

Imo, the welds look fine for the amount of time you have been welding Chris. Just be sure to only take up jobs that are not structural welding for now, plus I don't think your machine is large enough anyway.

Imo, the welds look fine for the amount of time you have been welding Chris. Just be sure to only take up jobs that are not structural welding for now, plus I don't think your machine is large enough anyway.

The machine should be pretty decent for doing quite a bit of work.....220v 110amp Mig....dunno though....

Not too bad, welding is definitely an art and practice is the only way to get really good at it. When I first got into welding I would go to every exhaust/muffler shop around to get their scrap metal and just go to town on it until I felt comfortable with my welds. Like others have said everyone has to start somewhere.

I don't have any experience with the Chicago Electric welders, if those specs are accurate, I would not weld up anything thicker than exhaust and intercooler piping with it. Once you get pretty good, you will want to move up to a better, more powerful machine.

The downpipe in the picture is mine. I needed someone to cut the flange off my downpipe and weld on the new Holset flange. There is only one shop around here that I trust with my car and they weren't available at all to do it and Chris said he would love to give it a try. I figured it would be my chance to actually be able to stand there and help out and make sure it was done the way I wanted it done. My entire exhaust is one solid welded piece (pain in the ass) and Chris had to drop the whole exhaust to do this job so you can imagine how big of a pain it was.

I went there fully knowing Chris was just starting to weld and knew they wouldn't look professional, but as long as it looked descent and had good penetration then thats all I cared about, and Chris did just that. I'm fully confident that he will get better and better and I will be going back to him to have him weld some other stuff together for me soon.

I've already put 200 hard miles on the car and it still is working great, and if I have any issues then I know Chris's cell phone number, his internet handle, his sisters phone number, where he lives, where his gf lives, and the cars he drives. So I'm not worried about it. :D

The downpipe in the picture is mine. I needed someone to cut the flange off my downpipe and weld on the new Holset flange. There is only one shop around here that I trust with my car and they weren't available at all to do it and Chris said he would love to give it a try. I figured it would be my chance to actually be able to stand there and help out and make sure it was done the way I wanted it done. My entire exhaust is one solid welded piece (pain in the ass) and Chris had to drop the whole exhaust to do this job so you can imagine how big of a pain it was.

I went there fully knowing Chris was just starting to weld and knew they wouldn't look professional, but as long as it looked descent and had good penetration then thats all I cared about, and Chris did just that. I'm fully confident that he will get better and better and I will be going back to him to have him weld some other stuff together for me soon.

I've already put 200 hard miles on the car and it still is working great, and if I have any issues then I know Chris's cell phone number, his internet handle, his sisters phone number, where he lives, where his gf lives, and the cars he drives. So I'm not worried about it. :D

Haha, thanks Steevo...for that, I'm moving next week and selling everything. Cya in 10 years :tease:

I just re-read the thread again and I don't really see any hate, so I don't get what all the whining is about from everyone. Maybe people are just to sensitive. Look up my username on HMT and there should be some of my pics. I have nothing to prove nor hide. Have a nice day mmkay

I know what you mean, and i can tell that even though those weren't a stack of dimes, i can see you have your heat and feeding technique in check or at least have a good hadnle on it. When i sit and take my time i get some beautifull beads, but some things that just need welded and you don't want to charge the customer for too many man hours have to look a little different... when doing a wastegate flange if you draw the puddl;e too far between filler dips and get the elongated bead, is it worth it to the customer to grind it out and start over or are they happy enough with the nice color and even bead and penetration consistantly through the job...

How long have you been welding, just curious?
I've been MIG'ing for over 13 and TIG'ing for a tad over 5 or about 6 years, aluminum is my main game

Miller now sells a hobbyists tig! Easy to use, and priced like a mig!

you talking about the diversion 165? They are a nice machine and priced very well.. if they only had DINSE connectors for the torch adn ground i'd ove to have one for light field work, but my dynasty 200DX is pretty lightweight and my 8500 watt generator can run it at full steam and never flinch so my next purchase is either a bridgeport mill or a large dynasty 700 unit (12k dollars YIKES!)

I wasn't really saying hate, but there was a lot of bad comments made that could be discouraging to the new weldor, andpersonally i don't like to see it, i believe anyone shouold have the chance and be encouraged to do whatever they wish to try, and it just erks me to see negative comments.. I'm not the best and don't claim to be, but why knock the new guy?

EDIT: stay away from chicago electric welders... their light tools are okay, but the TIG they claim as 190 amps IIRC doesn't barely do a true 100 amps wide open and sill trips breakers, their plasma cutters are just as bad.. look for used MIller equipment on craigslist or ebay .. finding an old synchrwave 250 would be the ultimate choice for a used package with everything for under 2k dollars.... it has 310 amps total output but is confined to normal sign wave technology and limited to 60hz AC freq. thus why my 200amp dynasty was 4101.87 just foe everything to start laying beads, but it's got more features than a porsche

Exactly... This was the original posters first job, think back to your first welding job and how crappy it looked.. So why be such an ass to this guy?:notgood:

wow, you calling someone else an ass??? maybe it's just your time of the month why you were in ass in my post....LOL:nono:

OP- Welding definately takes practice...keep at it!!

I've been welding for 9 years

Congrats, you have been weldling for half my life :thumb:. On a more serious note, it depends on what you use to weld with and what you prefer. I welded for a solid 9 weeks (not to be confused with 9 years) and my welds looked VERY similar to your pro welds. But then again, I did get written up for being "too slow". Over there at Wasserstrom, its Quantity over Quality. Something Im not big on, because if I have to put my name on it... its going to be my best.

Regardless, thats your 1st welding job, so props to you. My 1st... 100 welds looked just like that. Too much filler wire or too much heat and blowing holes thru the sheet metal i was famous for. But in time, you get better. Thats almost a Guarentee :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back