The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My sequential-parallel twin turbo EVO3 16g car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wortdog

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Champaign, Illinois
I know most people on DSM forums immediately cringe whenever the subject of twin turbos comes up, but I know some people might at least find my car interesting. Its definitely not a guide on how to make pretty welds :tease:

My basic goals for the project are good power in the wide range of 3k to 9k rpm, quick turbo response, and about 600whp.

The base engine is as follows:

2.3 stroker, Mitsu crank
Ross 9:1 pistons
Manley rods
mildly ported head with Ferrera 1mm oversized valves
the original mediocre Crower 64415 cams
JMF SMIM
Q45 throttlebody

I started with a 2G exhaust manifold and welded a pair of 60mm external wastegates to it. Each wastegate is connected to two of the runners in the manifold. The wastegates output into a Y that feeds the secondary EVO3 16 mounted between the transmission and the radiator. The compressor outlets are kept separate all the way until they Y together(very atrociously) into a single 3.5 pipe feeding a blow through MAF and the Q45 throttlebody.

The secondary turbo IC piping has a one-way swingvalve in it to prevent boost flowing backwards out of the stalled secondary turbo at low RPM.

My initial theory of operation was this:

At low RPM, all of the wastegates in the system are closed and the car behaves as a normal single turbo car. Once a preset boost level is reach by the primary turbo, 20psi for example, the 60mm wastegates begin to open and start feeding more and more exhaust to the secondary turbo, which starts to spin up. At this point, the secondary turbo is not contributing anything to the boosted intake air, but just accelerating up to speed on its own. Once the boost from the secondary turbo matches the primary turbo, the swing valve opens and both turbos are operating in parallel to feed compressed air to the engine. At this point, the internal wastegates take over to regulate final boost, which must be a psi or 2 higher than the pressure the external wastegates opened at.

It doesn't quite work yet, however. Upon trying it out, the primary turbo spooled a little before 3k rpm to 15psi and held until around 5500rpm, when the sound of heavy turbo surging was evident. My problem, as many of you have figured out by now, is that the secondary turbo went way off into surge land, because it was trying to build boost into a closed volume. Eventually around 7500 or so the surging becomes violent enough to push the one way valve open, but its definitely not a good thing to be doing to a turbo.

My solution is to mount an external wastegate with very little spring pressure on the secondary turbo's IC piping before the one-way valve. The valve will bleed off air from the IC pipe back into the turbo inlet pipe(ie between the air filter and the turbo). The bottom side of the WG's diaphragm will be hooked up to manifold pressure, while the top side of the diaphragm will see the same pressure as the secondary IC piping. This way the valve will be the open while the secondary turbo is trying to spool, allowing air to flow and keeping the turbo out of surge. Once the pressure in the secondary IC piping is close to manifold pressure, the valve will shut, causing a pressure spike and a very minute surge until the one-way valve opens and allows secondary boost to reach the engine.

Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to test my fix, as I managed to somehow crack my transmission casing 3/4 of the way around the front diff housing. I guess that's the car's way of telling my to spend some money on the transmission too.

And what project thread would be complete without pictures. You'll have to excuse the the general 'roughness' (rusty pipes, wiring, etc) as I don't feel like making anything pretty until I've gotten it all working. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,535
  • sideengine.jpg
    sideengine.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,565
  • cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,536
  • gates.jpg
    gates.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,543
  • mess.jpg
    mess.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 2,523
A few more pictures:

Attachments

• oneway.jpg
    oneway.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,464
  • wasteback.jpg
    wasteback.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,485
  • ypipe.jpg
    ypipe.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,459
That's freaken insane man! How do you get everything to fit? Please keep up posted with more pictures/info.
I see your overflow can just chillin', LOL.

Thank you for the post!

A purposeful boost leak. I think your fix is a great idea. It should work. I really hope it does, at least.

It's jsut so funny to see your cramped engine bay. I can hear people say "Holly He!! There's another turbo in there!" when the look down in your bay.

Why not another blow off valve with a solenoid and a boost switch?

*refrains from sequential comments* ;)

Why not another blow off valve with a solenoid and a boost switch?

*refrains from sequential comments* ;)

The challenge in using a blow off valve to vent the air is that I would need a vacuum storage tank to supply vacuum to pull the BOV open when the solenoid clicked over, or I would need to add a port to the bottom side of the BOV diaphragm, which is possible, but annoying. The wastegate is just a little easier to use here IMO, plus I have a couple laying around.

Feel free to make all the comments about sequential turbos you want, its all good. :thumb:

Thats quite a bit of $ you have in wastegates in such a _____ ass set up. I give you kudos for tryign though. Let us know how well it works, or does not work.

They're just cheap SS Autochrome wastegates, but they don't leak at all. The only issue I've had with them is that none of the hardware is tight out of the box.

Their 50mm wastegates did leak a little bit.

It'll be another two weeks before I have a transmission :(

Pure insanity. A TRUE DSMer... :D

When I saw the size of those waste gates my immediate reaction was WTF

Props for doing something different... most people (including myself) don't have the balls.

Let us know how it goes - vids and pics would be awesome :thumb:

:dsm:

Just one more thread the noobs can refer to (or be refered to) when the subject of "twin turbocharging" the 4G63 comes up, yet again.

Great effort. I'll give you two thumbs up.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
However, I would have thought you would choose a more effecient intercooler design then that though (refering to the side-to-side design).

Don't forget this thread when you come back from the dyno or the track. :) One more thumbs up for the road.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

maybe a gang turbo setup would be cool but i think that the newer turbos running much higher psi boost there is really not a point in ganging turbos anymore.

I do have to say you have put a lot of stuff under the hood of that car.

:thumb:

let us know how it works.

JrCRXHF said:
I do have to say you have put a lot of stuff under the hood of that car.

Doug, that's one of the things 1Gs are known for - roomy engine bays. (At least, when compared to the 2Gs. :coy: )

Hmm, I got a few replies(colt boostin and stealthTT) to this thread that only showed up in e-mail, that's odd.

The car has been back together for a little while now, but I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it. The system works almost transparently at 10 psi with boost staying nice and steady from 3200 to 8500 or so. The addition of a valve to vent boost while the turbo spools works well. Of course, at 10 psi, the benefits are next to nil.

As boost goes up past 15psi, the inefficiency of the TDO5 exhaust wheel rears its head, and there just isn't enough 'leftover' exhaust energy to get the secondary turbo spooled up until 7800rpm, but holy hell is the car fast at 20+psi on both turbos, that's definitely the first time I've ever had the tires break loose on a 2nd gear roll on. I think I may have injured the secondary turbo back when I was surging it though, it seems to be smoking a lot when it spools.

Next I'm planning on pulling yet another trick from the RX7 TT. To get the second turbo to come in earlier, I'm going to hook up a 'bypass' solenoid that bypasses the MBC controlling the external wastegates. At some yet to be determined boost and RPM, the solenoid will allow full intake pressure to the WGs, which will open all the way and sacrifice boost on the primary turbo to get the secondary turbo spooled up. I'm hoping there's a decent tradeoff somewhere in getting into the second turbo early vs maintaining steady boost. I really wish I didn't have to add the infamous boost hump in, as it really ruins the effect, but that's the way it is.

I've ever had the tires break loose on a 2nd gear roll on. I think I may have injured the secondary turbo back when I was surging it though, it seems to be smoking a lot when it spools.

That's becuase you never road in my car :D

Good job on the build, nice to see it's back on the road! Say, who did your machine work?:)

That's becuase you never road in my car :D

Good job on the build, nice to see it's back on the road! Say, who did your machine work?:)

That's only because your car was on cheap half dry-rotted all seasons :D

It would have been fun to compare my car to your old setup, but your new setup could probably pull my car down the track on a trailer faster than my car could make it down the strip on its own, haha.

I did the balancing/assembly myself while Precision's dad's shop did the work on my engine block and original 'over the top' race head which I killed when I forgot to torque the cam sprockets down :toobad: So now I'm running a fairly basic single spring, 1mm oversized valve head. The bores were pretty straight with the head torqued down, and the rings seems to have broken in just fine, so the machine work was good in my book.

I want to see a video of the engine, routing and a few pulls!

As many times as I have heard some newb bring up the subject and roll my eyes. It's hard to think someone actually not only did it but sounds like pulled off a good job.

The garage I was renting burned down with the car in it:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f306/haunterhaunterhaunter/fire/

I never really got it working all that well. The second turbo never wanted to come in until over 7500 when I had the boost around 23-25 psi, but it did pull very smartly from there to the 9k redline, with only a slight kick in torque to let you know something had happened.

There were still a bunch of things I wanted to try with it, but I don't think I'm going to rebuild it.

I bought another 92. I'm likely going to toss the engine and trans from this car into that with a 3065, S200 or 300, or similar.

Time for a new experiment. Gives you another opportunity to make alterations for a better project. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back