The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My plan on future 1g build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassera

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2009
Bronx, New_York
Ok I will be 100% honest with you guys, I am 18 years old and I've never had a car. My whole family is into building cars (Mainly Hondas) So I've been around car my whole life (But thats besides the point). For the past year I've been researching on what car I want and it came down to a 1ga eclipse gsx. For the past couple of weeks I have been doing TONS of research and forum lurking to learn more about dsm's.

My plans when I do get it are to keep the stock 14b turbo with full exhaust,Intake,Boost controller (up the boost to 18-19 psi) of coarse with the supporting fuel mods(I will overkill with the fuel mods just to set me up in the future so I dont wind up spending more money),Port the o2,External wastegate.

I want to get the most out of this 14b turbo with as many supporting mods that I wont have to change once I do decide to upgrade the turbo
So my first question to you is what else would i have to do to really turn up the power on this 14b, i seen 14b's doing 12.5 so this is what inspires me.

Once I do this I will just enjoy the car, learn more about the car until i am ready to go big so Another question, Once i do decide to go all out, Instead of asking what will a 10,000 dollar budget get me in hp range i will ask what can i get out of a 10,000 dollar budget range in terms of power. I am looking to do internals i am about 95percent sure i am not getting a stroker kit maybe ill just bore it instead, with either a 20g turbo or a gt35r (I am worried trying to get the most out of the the gt35r will be out of my budget). So can anybody help me out here and shed some light on this for me? I really appreciate this time and effort responding to this. Also some suggestions on different turbos with the $10,000 budget in mind will help :D

Well 10,000 dollars is a nice budget to start out with! I would say that you have really been doing your research, but one thing i believe i would get is something to tune with. Get the exhaust, your injectors, fuel pump, and intake, but instead of using your boost controller right away, tune it instead, that alone will net you the time you are looking for. You also if you are planning on not leaving it stock, keep in mind that you may also need to upgrade your internals which you did point out, but you also have to keep in mind that we are all working with 19 going 20 year old cars here.
I think a good philosophy to follow, since money seems to not be a huge problem. "Build it expecting it to break" and then put in parts that can handle just about anything. Hope this gives ya a few ideas, and good luck!

Youll learn a lot as you go, you will find out what is needed and not needed. The firs thing is to learn the basics maintence because if y ou dont youll be spending money everywhere. doing a clutch, simple changes brakes, timing belts, belts, hoses, the thing every car may need. Once thats done or attemped adding bolt ons will make it a bit easier and more fun, this just takes time.

You sound like you're heading in the right direction already.
As mentioned make sure that all the maintenance has been performed first before modding.
Take a look at my profile as I ran a 14b with this setup, minus the cams and cyclone. At around 21-22psi, it was a nice turbo for the street with tons of torque and a strong pull to 62-6300rpm. These flow 34lb/min and are capable of 300whp.

Yah I did my research on here and I realized I have to change timing belt,all oils and lines e.c.t. before i do any upgrades to the car. I do plan on putting in pistons and rods but thats when I decide to use the 10,000. I know i will waste a lot of money on an ems because i will need one once i start to really upgrade it and internals will cost a crapload of money so ill be left with not that much money for things like cams, valvesprings maybe even a lightweight flywheel e.c.t.

Does anybody have any suggestions for my temporary 14b setup besides what I mentioned in the original post? im just trying to make sure I didnt miss anything.

Yah I did my research on here and I realized I have to change timing belt,all oils and lines e.c.t. before i do any upgrades to the car. I do plan on putting in pistons and rods but thats when I decide to use the 10,000. I know i will waste a lot of money on an ems because i will need one once i start to really upgrade it and internals will cost a crapload of money so ill be left with not that much money for things like cams, valvesprings maybe even a lightweight flywheel e.c.t.

Does anybody have any suggestions for my temporary 14b setup besides what I mentioned in the original post? im just trying to make sure I didnt miss anything.

You don't need an EMS when there are tools you can use to tune with the stock ecu.

Your best bet would be going with DSMlink

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back