The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G My First Tsi!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhoover

Proven Member
Aug 17, 2013
Canton, Michigan
3rd talon to me but my first tsi 140k bone stock. Exactly what I wanted. Lots of goodies ready to go on. Super excited!!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Although you have already purchased your timing kit, it is always recommended on the timing components to use OEM products since it is such an important thing for the motor, just thought you should know. Off brand components tend to not function correctly or wear out prematurely is the reason why.

Stop buying cheaper aftermarket parts.
The turbo, the timing belt..
We may be seeing this car up for sale in nonrunning condition when you get frustrated with its lack of reliability.
While thats not a bad thing in itself, just dont blame the car or platform for being unreliable. Actions like this (cheap unproven parts) are what give the DSM platform the stink of being broken all the time.

For lots of stuff, critical components most importantly, go with trusted OEM pieces. They are actually designed to last the warranty period, so that the manufacturer doesnt have to deal with replacing down the road.

It would be like buying a childs car seat from brand Dong Sing Baboyueah, because it cost 20 bucks less than the leading brand.. what parent would?

actually dont answer that. lots of dumbass people out there allowed to have offspring.
yet you need a license to drive legally... sigh

Everyone was "new" at one time. That will be your very best decision and one you won't regret later like might have been the case if you used that kit. I'm not harping on you, just trying to direct you so that you aren't disappointed very soon because of a cheap part that needs to be of quality. I think you will find that as for the belts, some of us go with Gates or another performance type of belt, but the pulleys and hydraulic tensioner are super important, hence why we use OEM on them.

So here to own my mistakes. Didn't have enough time to get the factory belt I bought installed in time for my tracks opening weekend. So I figured what the hell couple passes cant be that bad right. Wrong stripped all the teeth off the timing belt on the 5th pass. But that's what I get for being stupid right? Should have listened to you guys you were just trying to look out for a little ol newbie. Oh well tis life. I guess it's just an excuse to build it right the second time. This has in no way detered me from owning a DSM and has only made my drive even stronger for this car. I only ask please don't comment the I told ya so's and things of that nature i realize I screwed up and ackonwledgd I have no one to blame but myself

Clean car, It's been a long time since I saw a MAF that still that little silencer in it :sneaky: actually.. when I took mine out of my 1 owner GSX 2 years ago, I won't be too hard on you as it's been stated before, we were all new to this at one point in time. Definetly spend time on here and do some research and when you think you understand, read it again. I've spent hours upon hours watching jafromobile, toms turbo garage and another guy on here, I believe his name is eric, his youtube is called velocity labs, and there's a lot to be learned.. the information is all here, if you look

Do not be afraid to ask questions, and as far as these cars go, you'd be suprised how snappy a 1g can be with light mods on the stock 14b. (I'm not saying fast guys.. but a PROPERLY set-up 14b car can be plenty of fun on the street) You don't need to jump into a larger turbo and a fmic, My first GSX had a 16g and a sidemount with 650cc injectors and a chip and it was pretty awesome for what it was.

Nice to see a rare find, buying cars from the elderly or low number owners seem to prove worth. I bought my talon from a 62 year old man and it was bone stock at the time. Best of luck on the build.

I think I speak for most of us that we are still here to help, that's whats so great about this forum. Dig into her and find out what it's gonna take to get her going again and save another DSM! I am looking into another today just to keep it from going to a crusher, not that I need another that's for sure. Start a new thread when you get to the new point of questions and I'm sure it won't be long and you will have it back on the street driving her around, enjoying her again!!! Stay in touch!

Just realize that when people of reasonable experience tell you that something is a bad idea, it is usually because it is either common sense or they have done it before and it has failed miserably. We do not do it to poo-poo on someones ideas or actions without reason. Take advantage of the experience here, there is a ton of it.

That being said, always ask questions if you are unsure.. with one caveat: please search first. If the asker is too lazy to research, expect the readers to be too lazy to respond.. but that is with lmgtfy exists in this world.

That being said, good luck with the rebuild. You have learned a valuable lesson, one that many share with you.

Clean car gets into the hands of a guy that uses off brand and ebay parts.

:(

Nice car man I'm planning on getting one soon and might stick to stock rather than modded just because you don't know what your getting into. Either way nice car

I am uncertain if anyone has said it yet but, I have had my 1G for 15 years now. The biggest mistake I made was not getting a tuning system for it before I started mods. I am certain I would have saved a lot of time and money had ECMlink been my first purchase. I know it wasn't available back then, but it is now. That would be the first thing I would do. IMHO.
Great find!

Well call this building the talon V2 - the correct way!!

So it's been awhile since I pulled the motor finally got around to start tearing into the short block and found out what the failure was. The balance shaft bearing behind the oil pump was sitting in the bottom of the pan. This caused the oil pump pulley to lock up and that's what stripped all the teeth off the belt. I tried doing a little research and couldn't find out much on this. Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

I have had my balance shaft belt take out my timing belt but not strip it. I learned the hard way on my rebuild. Get rid of the balance shafts!

Get rid of them while you have it torn apart. Not trying to start a balance shaft war.... but real world experience shows they are just another item waiting to fail and ruin your build. Many top notch guys recommend it including gst with psi who is a very notable memeber (not only single digit guys)... search around.
I put 40k on a daily driver had balance shafts deleted.... only thing I did get blow by from high oil pressure to the turbo.... oil feed restrictor fixed that issue.
And don't get cheap on the balance shaft delete... haha get a good kit. :)

Quick update. Finally ready to start building my new engine!

Looking good JR!!! :thumb:

Getting there.

Nice. Looks like you havent done the oil port mod for the head. I would seriously look into that since material has been taken off the deck at least once.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back