The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

My Custom Radiator from Ron Davis Radiators

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSiAWD666

Supporting Vendor
Aug 15, 2003
Herndon, Virginia
Hey folks, just received my custom radiator I had built for my eventual time trial car. It's from Ron Davis Radiators. Here are the specs:

- 28" wide x 14" high x 2 3/4" deep, 1.5" inlets and outlets
- Dual pass design using a two row core
- Driver's Side end tank contains an integrated oil cooler with -8AN inlets and outlets
- Passenger side end tank contains 3 x 1/8" NPT fittings. One for Coolant Surge Tank feed, one for surge tank drain, and one for my coolant temperature probe.
- Fan mounting tabs on the passenger side rear for a pull fan. Tabs on the driver's side are just for me to use for routing wires.

There are no mounting provisions because I knew I'd have to come up with some new ones.

I wouldn't say this is the best design for anyone, and am not showing it for that reason. I just thought I'd show what you can get with a custom radiator for those that might be interested. My key design decision was integrating the oil cooler into the radiator, and also keeping somewhat stock dimensions as I'd be keeping the front radiator support in place.

Cost me $953 shipped. I tried to work with Fluidyne initially, working with their owner but he is just too busy it seems to respond in a timely fashion. Spoke with a few other custom radiator folks but Bill over at Ron Davis Radiators was hands down the most responsive and helpful of them all.

No doubt it's an expensive piece but I wanted what I wanted, and I'm willing to pay for what I want to an extent. Probably not for 99% of our frugal minded DSM crowd but I'm sure a handful of the racers out there might find this information useful, or at least of some interest :)

Thanks to Andrew Brilliant (gixxerdrew) for answering a billion questions and helping me with this. This isn't to say Andrew approves of this design :)

Attachments

• Ron Davis Radiator.jpg
    Ron Davis Radiator.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,174
Oh, forgot to say the turnaround time I think was about one week, though they estimated 2-3.

Is the endtank on the inlet/outlet side divided internally as it appears to be? Seems in that case the entire radiator will be utilized in cooling, vs the factory configuration where most of the cooling occurs on the inlet/outlet side of the radiator. Cant wait to see how much this thing drops temps!!!

Is the endtank on the inlet/outlet side divided internally as it appears to be? Seems in that case the entire radiator will be utilized in cooling, vs the factory configuration where most of the cooling occurs on the inlet/outlet side of the radiator. Cant wait to see how much this thing drops temps!!!

Yes your correct, thats why its called a "Dual pass" radiator

Very nice looking.

So, it seems that this is basically the same thing as the Afco Scirocco - but with the added $700 internal oil cooler?

Very nice looking.

So, it seems that this is basically the same thing as the Afco Scirocco - but with the added $700 internal oil cooler?

It is 6 inches wider and 3/4 of an inch taller.. That makes it a PERFECT fit on our cars. It fills up the hole completely.

It also has
3 x 1/8" NPT fittings. One for Coolant Surge Tank feed, one for surge tank drain, and one for my coolant temperature probe.
- Fan mounting tabs on the passenger side rear for a pull fan. Tabs on the driver's side are just for me to use for routing wires.

It's similar but way nicer. IMO Sort of like an OBX header VS Shearer.

I would have liked to see it thicker but I'm guessing he wants to keep the hood latch in bracket place.

Very nice looking.

I'd say that's quite an oversimplification, but generally they're similar in concept sans the integrated oil cooler. Yes, they are both dual pass, both are rectangular in shape, and both use 2-row cores. Otherwise, they're different, and the devil is in the details, no?

Mine has the exact dimensions I wanted (thickness, height, and width of both core and the whole unit), has additional bungs I wanted in size and location, has the inlets and outlets sized like I wanted, and has the fan mount provisions where I wanted them. The Afco Scirocco radiators sure are inexpensive, but I can't speak to the core quality, reputation, and overall build quality in anyway. Not badmouthing them, I'm just saying I know nothing about them. Ron Davis Radiators has a fantastic reputation in racing circles (I'm not talking drag racing or on the street) from my research.

If you can cut corners and get the cooling you want from a Afco Scirocco, by all means you should! Save the money! For me though I needed to make sure I had adequate cooling and saving a few bucks by compromising on a smaller radiator (like these Afco Scirocco radiators) would mean taking a risk on cooling. I don't know if you've tracked a 2g DSM before but cooling is a bi*** and I'm not taking any risks if I can help it. I'm going to maximize usage of my airflow to cool the car. Instead of getting "almost right" I chose to get "just right" (though once in use I may find that not to be the case hehehe ;)).

Oops, someone beat me to the differences :)

In regards to not going thicker then 2.75", the planned placement is in place of the original radiator (I have a fluidyne right now) though with some modifications to mounting angle (probably cutting of the core support a bit, and eventual removal of the a/c condensor and upper core support). With my current turbo I have room for at most a 3" radiator from the core support, and that would put the core very very close to my o2 housing's recirculation tube. I opted to give a bit of an air gap for insulation. Also, I know that a very experienced friend in time trial configuration is getting enough cooling out of only a 2" thick core with perfect ductwork, so going to 2.75" with a slightly smaller cross-section seemed like it would be enough. That part's definitely a guess though.

Definitely not keeping the stock hood latch. I haven't had that for years. I have that removed and the area plated over for ducting. It will probably get re-done when all this goes on with Drew's body kit starting later this month.

Last edited:
When you add up the cost of the kit, the custom work to use it (creation of the front diffuser, intricate mounting, rear wing to match, rear diffuser), and the body/paint work after it's on... yeah it ends up costing a kidney and a lung. Gets worse too because now that you have all this grip, you gotta add in safety mechanisms from the lateral g like fuel surge tanks and accusumps (or dry sump if you've got that kind of cash). With all the speed you need racing seats, harnesses, roll bars, fire extinguishers, nomex suits... sweet merciful crap it's more like selling your soul :)

What can you do though... an opportunity to use truly well designed aero plus have a widebody on an Eclipse is likely only going to happen this once. I love my car, and while I think my Evo is in many ways a superior platform... I want to do this on my Eclipse that I love. I'm at the age where if I don't do this now I'll have kids in a few years and have to fuggetaboutit until I'm 55+. Hells no, I'm doing this shit now! :) As a bonus I'm supporting one of the most brilliant (hah, pun intended) DSM owners out there :)

This car at the moment is where almost all my resources are going so I can see what there is to see when I drive my monster car.

Honestly... of course. I am familiar with what it takes for wheel to wheel racing from personal friends that have done it with SCCA. I've done lots of reading over the last ten years to understand a bit about what it takes to be competitive AND get from race to race. It's not cheap, both in money and time! The Eclipse is not a cheap car to run, either, in my opinion. With breaking parts that are hard to come by these days, replacing large tires, dealing with transmission issues, and a very expensive body... I just can't afford the price to play that game. Not only do you have to deal with these issues, you have to deal with them quickly between races. Working 9-5 on weekdays doesn't leave you much time for that.

In order to wheel to wheel race with the time/money I can sacrifice for this passion of mine I could not run an Eclipse for any length of time. I would need to switch to something like a Miata or a Civic. That's just my situation right now.

I don't think you need to compete in a full season, maybe run a couple races, gain some experience, create some excitement in the DSM community and you never know. I think you can do it, I encourage you. :)

That's a beautifull piece there bud, Sometimes ya gotta pay a good dollar for what ya want, but having it JUST the way you did want it alwasy makes it worth it in the end.

I hope you'll update the thread with some info and data on cooling under hard abuse and possible some DD duty as well.

:thumbsup:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back