1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Moroso pan on the street?

Posted by LumpyVR4, Jan 16, 2021

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4 Supporting Member

Joined May 21, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm tossing up whether it is worth my money to get a Moroso pan for my 2.2 build? I'm aiming for 500+ at the wheels. I use the car for highway and running mountain roads mainly, but will have to take it to the drags and track at least once.
    I've killed bearings before due to oil starvation on a Ford Cleveland 351, so I'm a bit gun shy on the subject. I've got a Kiggly HLA in the new head, and I ground out all of the casting flash / burs out of it so the oil can drain as quickly as possible (one of the drain holes was only about 1/3 open from the factory).
    I'm on the fence with getting the pan because I know I have a tendency to over engineer things and spend money where I don't need to.
    So should I spend the money on the pan or is it only necessary for higher power drag / track cars?

Street Build 567  6

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  2. TeamFury

TeamFury Proven Member

Joined Mar 5, 2008
    Wakefield, Kansas
    If it were me I would just do the kiggly mod to the pick up tube. From what I’ve read from Jewer and Kiggly the scoop on the pickup helps alleviate the suction of air on launches. They’re both drag racing guys though. The Moroso pan is not a bad idea increased capacity and baffling design for those mountain roads. That decision will ultimately yours but my opinion you’ll be fine without the pan.

Drag Race Build 6K  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.26 @ 147 · 1G DSM
  3. DSMPT

DSMPT DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    Just my opinion, to use the Moroso oil pan on the street wouldn't be a problem at all and to use money for better oil control would be a good idea. Probably the Moroso oil pan would work good for your case. But if I were you, I would stick with the stock oil pan for now, and I would see how the oil control would work first. If the car is mostly for drag racing or pulling hard mostly at highway's straight, I would add the Kiggly mod on pickup tube like @TeamFury mentioned above and that would really help bearings. But if you would also pull the car hard on the mountain road often, I wouldn't add it. This should be a different story.
    To be honest, it would totally depend how much oil control you would need. if your case would require much better oil control for all situation like straight/left, right curve/up, down, a dry sump system would be the way to go. I would keep the money for the Moroso pan and would save more money for a dry sump system in the future. But yeah that would be really expensive and a lot of work to install... :ohdamn:
    In case if you decide to go with the Moroso oil pan, don't forget to check the clearance between #3/#4 big end to oil pan since you have a stroker engine.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021

Drag Race Build 3K  7

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    TeamFury likes this.
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    I haven't run into any oiling problems on my setups, granted no where near their levels. I would run the stock pan also. Kiggly mod the pickup if you feel like it, I haven't had to do mine though and I drive my cars like I built them to run (like I STOLE IT, ROFL). Just my experiences with these motors in these cars.

Street Build 5K  31

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    14.74 @ 117.04 · 1G DSM

2K  15

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

1K  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM