The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Modifying the Lower Timing Belt Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Has anyone tried cutting their lower timing belt cover in such a way that if and when you need to take it off, you do not have to disassemble a hundred different things in order to take 1 cover off? I had this idea a while back and will probably do it to my cover, but here is what I had in mind:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Something along those lines where wherever the cut lines are, it would still allow for as much structural rigidity as possible so you do not have bits flapping about. Im also thinking of maybe fabricating some reinforcement bars/plates to go on the OUTSIDE of it to add more rigidity but also have them clear the outer belts. This is all theory right now and I will be playing around with this idea all the way up until I need to put it on for the completion of my build. I am taking a Solidworks class and I will see if I can come up with a better solution for what I'm trying to do. Any and all input would be appreciated. :thumb:

Main reason for doing this would be for easy access when it is your DD and you suspect something is running amok down there and you can't access it unless you know what it is you are doing. (Something I didn't know how to do before my build :shhh:)

I always drill a hole in the cover just above the one filter housing bolt which is hidden by the cover on every engine I assemble. Saves a ton of headache down the road.

That's really the only modification I do to the cover itself...although I like the idea of not having to remove the engine mount.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back